compound mitre saw advice

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Overhead shelves already in place. It would need a complete and expensive refurb of the entire garage. Looks like I'm going to have to soldier on with the less than perfect one I have. :roll: 8)

You need one of those fancy rotating tables that has a router, drill press, mitre saw, fondue set and cuddly toy all built in. How about this one? [youtube]KwmOQHJejAw[/youtube]

No, what I need is a way of making my beer money pension buy vintage champagne. :roll: :roll: :shock:

I think Metabo has a mitre saw with a similar system for the slider to the Festool that's supposed to be pretty good for the money.

One of the first tools I ever bought was a mitre saw, and it has had years of use and abuse. We are best buds. Now I have both a table saw and a bandsaw, it never, ever gets used. Partly because, like you, I have nowhere to put it so it has to be dragged outside and set up, but mostly because the other saws are better at doing the same job. The only time I might consider using it would be to cross cut the ends of extremely long lengths of wood.

In other words, do you really need one?

Yes.
I use the angle cutting a lot (both angles). I've just finished a set of shelves that are more than triangular and could not have made the walnut edging without the mitre saw.
Also, as I make a lot of boxes, I buy planks of hardwood that are around 180 mm across as this is the limit on the bandsaw.
I cant cut 180 mm on my mitresaw, so getting squared ends is a very messy and sometimes even dangerous procedure. :shock:
I dont use it every day, but its not actually "put away". so I go to it often for quickness.
But.. as I said, I could really do with a slider to get across 200 mm and give me accurate repeatable angles.
But... then we come to the fact that as I have a limited amount of money, I can either buy a semi decent saw, or I can rebuild an entire wall of my workshop with a dozen sheets of ply, which means I cant buy a saw to put on the new workbench.

Lifes a beach sometimes. 8)
While youre there, my olive tree has gone ballistic this year, the falling blossom is knee deep. I suspect well over 40 kgs come november, how are yours doing? 8)

I've got the Metabo - KGSV 72 XACT - and I'm impressed with it. Like the Kapex it's fixed rail so takes up a lot less space which was the primary reason for getting it as my work space is very narrow. It cuts accurately and cleanly, doesn't struggle with anything I've put through it yet and has a pretty accurate laser to boot. I've not used a Kapex so can't make a fair comparison but it looks as though it can be dialled for mitre cuts and trenching with a bit more finesse, but then for the price difference I would expect that!

sunnybob":17fk1rdf said:
While youre there, my olive tree has gone ballistic this year, the falling blossom is knee deep. I suspect well over 40 kgs come november, how are yours doing? 8)

Last year was our "big" year - we had a record crop. That means that this year we won't have nearly as much, except apparently no one told the trees. Theoretically it won't be as much as last year, but I would guess 250 sacks or thereabouts - 12 or 13 tons of olives, and 2ish tons of oil.

Which no one will be able to afford to buy.

Never mind.

Trainee neophyte":2rf83v2c said:
sunnybob":2rf83v2c said:

Last year was our "big" year - we had a record crop. That means that this year we won't have nearly as much, except apparently no one told the trees. Theoretically it won't be as much as last year, but I would guess 250 sacks or thereabouts - 12 or 13 tons of olives, and 2ish tons of oil.

Which no one will be able to afford to buy.

Never mind.
We loved the stuff we brought back from Gozo 2 years ago.

Latest posts

Back