composite worktop supplier advice needed

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

druster

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi there,
I am installing a kitchen for a customer in the new year and they are wanting a composite "corian" type worktop, I have said that I would try to help as they have had a quote of £4500, and this is too much!
it is near bristol and I am wondering if any of you know of a good supplier.
thanks,
Dru

Dont know about the quote because i dont know the size or what they are having etc. a few alternatives are Hi-Mac from siemes which is basically the same as corian but its supplied in 12 or 9mm thicknesses and you have to fabricate it yourself. Other alternatives are Minerelle or Getacore. Both are basic chipboard tops but with a 3 mm layer for getacore and 2mm layer for minerelle of a corian style acyrylic. They joint seamlessly as corian but you cant get the same effects.
Minerelle is avialiable from SevernPly in Stonehouse and Getacore i think is either Willliam T Eden in Corsham or James Latham in Box. Both are substantialy cheaper than corian.

Hi Dru,

Try Bristol Decorative Surfaces - Just off the M32 in Bristol, St Werburghs.
http://www.bdsurfaces.com/
Bristol Decorative Surfaces Ltd.
Units 2 & 3, Gatton Road
St. Werburghs
Bristol, BS2 9SH
tel: 0808 200 4444

They have some composites in their range, and can also order in if needed.

Hope this helps.

Andy

thanks for both those suggestions,
they do want a solid surface though,
I'll give bds a call,
thanks
Dru

Just to make you aware Corian is not technically solid, its a 12mm piece of acrylic postformed to a piece of MDF with a edging detail applied. The only 'solid' tops around are timber and granite. Where abouts are you based as i know a company that sells a worktop called silestone. Its a very nice surface, in my opinion much better than corian and not as expensive.

located just south of bristol, found a couple of places locally and put the customer in touch, seems that they are also unable to check yell.com!

There are mainy materials available now that are identical to Corian -
LG Himacs
Staron
Swanstone
Henex
All are less expensive than Corian depending on where you purchase. I can send you details of all if required.

All are less expensive than Corian depending on where you purchase. I can send you details of all if required.
Hi Mark welcome to the forum.

I too would be interested in these products availability as one of the problems with Christmas is it gives the missus to spend time looking what needs doing and catching you unaware. We are at least replacing a worktop and sink....apparently.

Alan

Hi Alan,
Thank you for the welcome. If you would like to email me your address i will send you the information, or if you prefer I can list the web sites on this site. Unfortunately, information on prices are difficult to obtain without a specific design to price. The fabricators I use normally beat any price and I then install.

Does your friend know that Corian and the similar products will not cope with having a hot pan etc. put on them. You could also try Silestone which is heatproof.

Back