Completion of the Military Chests

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Geeeeeee LOUISE Derek! How much Jarrah do you actually have!!? :mrgreen:

Every single thing about this piece of furniture is to my taste precisely. From the wood used, the tools used right through to the brass handles....

I am currently saving some old antique ones of those myself ready for a toolchest build...they are stunning.

I can't conceive anyone who would DARE to put a glass of wine down on that beautiful surface...I'd chop their hand off and make it into a piece of modern art if they did! :mrgreen: :wink:

Bravo for a superb write up of an equally superb piece of furniture...made with exotic wood by a true craftsman of the old school!

=D> =D> =D> =D>

Totally off topic....what make are those speakers!? 8)

Jimi

But..............................why no corner plates?

K, just because the corners and straps tend to make the chests look too busy and glitzy. I wanted the pieces to blend in, not stand out.

Totally off topic....what make are those speakers!?

Jim, I bought those speakers new in 1984. B&W DM7 MkII. You should see (hear) the rest of the system (now in the study), which are from the same era (including turntables and many, many vinyl LPs).

The B&Ws are destined to be banished there as well, to be replaced by speakers that one cannot see, on the orders of a wife who does not care that Bigger is Better! :(

My best wishes for the New Year.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Very nice Derek - the brass goes really well with the wood.

I have the same trouble too, my Hi-Fi stuff is residing in my Study!! :(

Rod

Derek,

I too like the finished items as much as the write up and tooling - very good all round.

Also think it's best to be realistic about the possibility (probability) of someone putting a drink down on it at some point - and it's not ood to go round choppping hands off (especially if they are family members!)

On the speakers, co-incidentially I have DM5's which I bought back in '77; brilliant - but the Amp died (left channel) yesterday...(Technics SU7100). While I rigged up another that claimed 30+30 it simply can't drive the speakers so I am going to have to troll round to find a replacement at a reasonable price with the money I was going to use for one of those rasps...

AH! I thought they were B&Ws but I couldn't quite see the detail!

I have some old Monitor Audios....the wife keeps telling me I have to move them...HA! Some chance! :mrgreen:

Jim

Jumps, I recall the speakers of the late 70s and 80s being very inefficient and requiring amps with plenty of grunt - at least 50+50 and preferably double that. I still have a Musical Fidelity amp from those days, which is 90+90, and it can run out of steam on the DM7s. Japanese amps rarely matched well. British amps ruled! Actually, British electronic equipment ruled in that era. I also have Rega 3 and Linn Sondek turntables. Even a Quad tuner. I stopped looking at or buying equipment a very long time ago. All this is in the study/family room (which I am busily slaving now, building bookcases, painting, etc for SWAMBO), along with Wharfedale speakers.

Jim, the MA speakers were used by the BBC as their reference speakers. The "British" sound was always known as being refined and "uncoloured" (meaning, true to life), while the "American" sound was described as brash but colourful. Has any of this changed in todays hifi world ... is their a hifi world, or do people watch DVDs instead of listening to music (there will be no TV in the study, only a hifi, books, and comfy chairs).

Best wishes for the New Year.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Derek..your work and reference bases are an insperation and invaluable asset to all of us..I know that I am a newbie here but i have really learned how to appreciate your knowledge and expesrience...thank you

:shock: "SWAMBO" :shock:

Derek, I can infer two things from the above, given that 'a' and 'i' are at different ends of the keyboard:

a) It's different in Afrikans
b) There's something you're not telling us...yet.

:D Sam

Wow Derek.... that sets a standard!

Good wood... and good tools... and excellent craftsmanship.

-g-... who is thinking about some Auz wood, maturing in Canada for him.... hmmmm.

Thanks Gerard.

Those two pieces of Jarrah, now residing in Canada with your son, came from a spare board I had for the drawer fronts of the chests. It is not wild figure, but it flows along and, if used together, would look good. I do hope they are not an anti-climax.

Best wishes for the New Year.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Back