Complete newbie

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brian½

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, :)

A little about myself before my question:

I am a long retired 80 year old painter and decorator but have always had a fascination for wood. Sadly however I know nothing about woodworking, but love to watch video clips of skilled people doing it.
After saving for what seems an eternity I recently bought a DeWalt 745 table saw and am delighted with it.
Having watched so many clips and read a trillion tons of words about woodworking I now have a question to ask you.

The blade on the saw has a kerf of 3.2mm .... if I buy a thinner or even thicker blade would it still work alright with the riving knife, or would there be a risk ?

Brian½

PS. had to add the ½ to my name as there is already a member with the same name as myself.

Hi Brian welcome to the forum.
If you change the saw blade for a thinner or thicker blade you may well need to change the riving knife. The riving knife should be thicker than the plate of the saw but thinner than the kerf.
Its always good to see youngsters coming into the trade :)
Cheers Peter

if you get a thinner blade the saw cut would not be wide enough to around the riving knife, if you buy a thicker blade the riving knife would not be doing it's job to the full and the timber could close and jam and kickback on the blade.

3.2mm is a common size blade, so easy to get.
if you do want a different thickness blade there may be different thickness riving knives to suit? (not sure on this, someone else will correct me i'm sure)

Thank you Baldhead .... I was educated and brought up when everything was imperial so it's nice to find a good UK site, since we all have to use metric measurements.

Back