Complete handplane novice fettling old Stanley No 5

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi, tekno.mage

Looks like you have done a good job there, but where are the shavings :wink:

Pete

The only slight problem I've found is the amount of play in the adjuster screw, but I understand this is quite common with this type of plane and it's something you learn to put up with.

It is. A tip if you are not already aware of it. If you retract the iron to reduce the cut wind the adjuster back till it attempts to advance the iron again. This will prevent the iron slipping to an even shallower cut.

Roy.

I would keep going with hand abrasives rather than belt sanding. You will have far better control.

If you need to be more aggressive...start with a courser grit...don't be shy using it...you can always go back down the grits again...

Here is a No.7 I restored:

DSC_0014.JPG

DSC_0010.JPG

As you can see...I didn't really worry about getting a polished finished...just flat on sole and sides so that I could use it to shoot if necessary....but it shaves well!

DSC_0037.JPG

Here are a couple of articles that may help you....

Get Woodworking Plane and Simple

Hand Plane Restoration

Stanley Plane Restoration

Hope this is of some help....

Jimi

I would really recommend NOT using a belt sander, unless you're VERY confident of your skills, and can keep flat surfaces ... flat.

If you put a slight convexity into a sole or (worse) a frog base, it will cause the parts not to fit together securely leading to chatter, and general planing misery.

Removing rust is (I find) pretty easy by simple wet 'n' dry. One of the "secrets" is to start with surprisingly fine grit. 240 is about the coarsest I use, and that not very often. 320 is my normal starti8ng grit.

Rust is fairly easy to get off - but scratches left in iron and steel by too coarse grit is much more difficult!

BugBear

Thanks for the links about electrolytic rust removal, Jimi - I'm definitely going to give that one a try. Your restored No 7 looks great.

I note the warnings regarding use of the belt sander - & yes, a lot of care and a light touch is needed if you are not going to make things a lot worse rather than better!

I'm going to try out the electrolytic method first on the No 3 - I'll let you know how I get on.

tekno.mage

Back