Comparison of tool prices over time.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Talking about hand planes, I looked at the box my Canadian made Stanley #4 resides in, $12.59 bought at a discount department store, low. It's one of the first tools I bought. I was making as a first year carpenter apprentice $2.96. Beer was .20 a glass, $5.00 was a night, $2.50 if you were an American drinking Canadian beer.

MIGNAL":1n7ajbak said:
You must have good memories you lot. I can barely remember what I paid for something last week, let alone in 1980!
Old age, don't you just love it.
... or even what I bought last week! :(

Inflation is indeed the answer and I've found an online calculator

http://safalra.com/other/historical-uk- ... onversion/

£2 in 1965 = £34 in 2013

So Graham was spot on with his comments on his £13 silverline
silverline-4-t90575.html

The biggest thing I reflected on was the potential. Literally if you doubled the cost of the plane to £26.00 or even £30.00 and spent a bit more time on effort on production you'd have an excellent tool. I wonder if anyone would ever be bold enough to do so. From where I'm sitting Stanley, the people who made these planes famous, are well placed to launch these again.

Doesn't quite explain Andy's but then again different sectors have different inflation rates and its the average overall that is recorded.

£10.32 in 1977 = £13 in 1979 or £15 in 1980

£10.32 in 1977 = £23 in 1985 (so almost £23.50 as stated in the booklet)

RogerP":vnbk7np9 said:
MIGNAL":vnbk7np9 said:
You must have good memories you lot. I can barely remember what I paid for something last week, let alone in 1980!
Old age, don't you just love it.
... or even what I bought last week! :(
I think I might be given pocket money. :?

Back