Commisioning a chest of drawers

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hudson Carpentry":2mmt00an said:
The outer carcass looks dovetailed so MDF veneered isn't an option. I bet the draws are dovetailed to.

I should've elaborated on my original message, because I was looking at this as a much 'simpler' construction. I mean, the client is looking at a wardrobe that costs only £800. It's obvious straight away that to reproduce something similar in solid oak with traditional joint construction was going to push it up towards the £2,000 mark.

I'd envisioned a simple veneered MDF carcasee with lipped edges, perhaps mitred and biscuited at the corners, at best. Runners/kickers could be screwed in place. Solid drawer fronts to be fixed to veneered MDF 'boxes' (finger joints? Drawer lock joints?), perhaps with thinner MDF bases - the rest of the sheet could be pinned on to frame the back of the carcase. I think my day job (bascially nailing plywood together) has altered my perception of things... :oops:

;-)

I'm sure I'd still be 'off' with the £600 mark at this point but, for a hobbyist (etc.), that might seem like a reasonable fee. But, as Rob says, being able to guarantee a delivery date can be problematic and the extra 'stress' caused can also remove some of the enjoyment from their chosen past time.

OPJ":12v1ba8e said:
It's obvious straight away that to reproduce something similar in solid oak with traditional joint construction was going to push it up towards the £2,000 mark.

I'd envisioned a simple veneered MDF carcasee with lipped edges, perhaps mitred and biscuited at the corners, at best. Runners/kickers could be screwed in place. Solid drawer fronts to be fixed to veneered MDF 'boxes' (finger joints? Drawer lock joints?), perhaps with thinner MDF bases - the rest of the sheet could be pinned on to frame the back of the carcase. I think my day job (bascially nailing plywood together) has altered my perception of things... :oops:

;-)

I'm sure I'd still be 'off' with the £600 mark at this point but, for a hobbyist (etc.), that might seem like a reasonable fee. But, as Rob says, being able to guarantee a delivery date can be problematic and the extra 'stress' caused can also remove some of the enjoyment from their chosen past time.

I agree Olly. Mdf construction with drawers as you say and I'd be looking at around the £1K mark, but if traditional drawers are needed with CofL bottoms etc then closer to £2K would be a ball park number. Also spot on about delivery dates, stress etc.

To got OT for a mo...where were you on the 9th (the Ax visit) as you personage was sorely missed? (unless you were wearing the Potteresque Cloak of Invisibility :lol: ) - Rob

Hi Rob,

I'm sorry I missed the event at Axminster. It had completely slipped my mind (had a lot going on the last few months) and, by the time I realised, I wouldn't have been able to have taken the day off work. I'm sorry I missed it as it seems quite likely it was one of those 'one time only' opportunities. :-(

This thread has got me thinking about making a chest of drawers of my own... I've been looking for a second hand tallboy for a while and was tempted to spend £100 or so on pine. But, perhaps a veneered MDF carcase with a few cut-corners wouldn't be too bad after all... ;-)

I think the original question was perfectly sensible and if the piece looked interesting and wasn't required to be moved to far away I might have offered to make it myself, however, it doesn't and it does.

The entire professional/amatuer argument can go on forever and quite simple if the "professional" can't compete on price, schedule, quality etc... they will go the way of the dodo and that's tough, it's the same rules that everyone else in the world has to live by. If you want to go somewhere that doesn't apply you'll need to find an oldfashioned communist country, there's only North Korea left I think, any takers?

Aidan

Back