Coloured epoxy - Small amounts

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Woodypk

Established Member
Reaction score
I’m looking for a way to fill some small checks and cracks around knots and general small imperfections in the face of timber boards after they’ve been planed.

I know that gorilla glue do a two part syringe epoxy which I’ve used before, but I’m looking for something which I can mix with some coloured pigment or whatever it is that I use to turn epoxy black (or any other colour).

Does any one know of any small quantity, relatively cheap epoxy/resins that can be mixed with coloured pigments that can be used at a rate of a thimble full at a time? I don’t find myself needing to do this all that often which is why I just want a small quantity which I can grab and use easily as and when I need it, without having to get mixing and measuring cups etc.

I really like the gorilla glue epoxy syringe approach - has anyone mixed this with a coloured pigment before? Could anyone see a reason why I wouldn’t be able to mix it with something to turn it black for example?

I’ve used Araldite mixed with black power cement dye to fill minor imperfections in knots before, works very well.

I found the Gorilla Glue out of the syringe was great first time but once opened the syringe isn’t great for storage and it went in the bin.

Subsequently I have used BSI epoxy from Workshop Heaven with PolyHex epoxy dye. It’s easy to mix a small amount and no problem with storage.

There are a myriad of coloured powders that can be added to two part acrylic resin for filling in splits and gaps around knots …Amazon is a good source of both

I found the Gorilla Glue out of the syringe was great first time but once opened the syringe isn’t great for storage and it went in the bin.

Subsequently I have used BSI epoxy from Workshop Heaven with PolyHex epoxy dye. It’s easy to mix a small amount and no problem with storage.
Perfect. Spot on the money. I’ll give this BSI epoxy a go.

I’ve just had a look on the poly hex website and it looks like they’ve not got any epoxy pigments for sale right now.

Do you use a different website to find their products?

I’m looking for a way to fill some small checks and cracks around knots and general small imperfections in the face of timber boards after they’ve been planed.

I know that gorilla glue do a two part syringe epoxy which I’ve used before, but I’m looking for something which I can mix with some coloured pigment or whatever it is that I use to turn epoxy black (or any other colour).

Does any one know of any small quantity, relatively cheap epoxy/resins that can be mixed with coloured pigments that can be used at a rate of a thimble full at a time? I don’t find myself needing to do this all that often which is why I just want a small quantity which I can grab and use easily as and when I need it, without having to get mixing and measuring cups etc.

I really like the gorilla glue epoxy syringe approach - has anyone mixed this with a coloured pigment before? Could anyone see a reason why I wouldn’t be able to mix it with something to turn it black for example?
How about just buying a small epoxy casting kit (I like glasscast, but there are loads of suitably brands) and a set of cheap plastic syringes? That way you can mix as little as you want, and at £25 for 1kg it will last you ages. They have loads of colours you can use, though black normally looks best, and 1 £4 bottle of dye would be plenty.

As has been mentioned epoxy resin can be mixed with a pigment of ones choice to make a filler - a sort of home made ' Milliput'.

For shallow dinks and holes you may want to consider UV resin or UV nail varnish. If it's deep the UV light won't penetrate through the colour but you can do it in layers. It's about 90 seconds exposure per layer. I do 180 to be sure which is still faster than regular resin. Treating it with a heat gun will make some resins more 'runny' and will help it to soak more into cracks. A little trial and error may be required.

Thanks all for the suggestions.

I’ll have a look at the glass cast too.

I’m just trying to find the best way of just making enough each time I need it without having to make a mess or waste too much material and there’s been some great suggestions here.

Thanks again to all who commented!

Thanks all for the suggestions.

I’ll have a look at the glass cast too.

I’m just trying to find the best way of just making enough each time I need it without having to make a mess or waste too much material and there’s been some great suggestions here.

Thanks again to all who commented!
I use Shellac filler sticks available in various colours and you apply with a heated knife/spatula - canny remember where I got mine from but Liberon supply them and probably others if you search around.

I do this quite often with wood dust or spirit-based stains sometimes. Wood dust gives an opaque solid look, with stains it's translucent. At least depending on thickness of fill, amount of tint and darkness of colour I suppose. Just don't add too much stain vs the epoxy amount, it shrinks a bit from the fresh mixed vol as the solvent goes away.
I have Z Poxy and Bob Smith, the slower setting one. Both take colouring fine, both are similar things the 50-50 type epoxy+hardener.

I'd just use cheap epoxy tubes from pound shop etc and mix as required with pigment?

My wife makes various epoxy Christmas decorations and buys the 1:1 epoxy from Amazon along with 25ml measuring cups (disposable)

It's mixed 50/50 epoxy/hardner which is what you will need for small amounts. All the others it will be difficult to mix such small amounts as it's difficult to measure the hardener correctly.
It's sufficiently liquid to pour into cracks and a wide variety of dyes are available

I used epoxy resin and colour it with acrylic Paint. It's cheap and lasts well

Back