colour matching oak table/dining set

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stevel

Established Member
Reaction score
I have been asked by a friend to extend their dining table. It's an Old Charm oak table and the finish is very dark. The company cannot supply the stain but are sending me a sample of the stained wood. Can anyone tell me where I can get a match for the stain, or do I just make my own from Van Dyck crystals.

Steve :?:

Old Charm, arrrhhhhhh, the devils factory, the home of satan, where evil merges with the dark side, - whoops sorry about that worked for them a long time ago, just brought back dreadful memories about slave labour and tiny tea breaks. Mind you at least you get tea breaks when you work for someone else.

Afraid I can't help, to long ago.

i think the stain you need is fiddes dark oak ngr stain. this is the one to use for priory almost black matching.

I'm sure that the Old Charm colour is Jacobean Dark Oak. I use Morrells Woodfinishes http://www.morrells-woodfinishes.com/distributors.htm but other manufacturers produce a similar colour under the same name.

Incidentally, I recently had a blocked loo at the workshop and bought some caustic soda to try and shift it. I stirred the solution with a scrap length of oak and guess what?

The caustic soda turned the oak a perfect Jacobean Dark Oak colour!

I wonder if that is how it was done in years gone by?

Maybe worth a play.

Brad

Latest posts

Back