Collection of 3d printing files relevant for woodworking

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Loc line dust extraction for my pillar drill. Can be extended by adding adding as shown 3rd photo. Made to fit to standard wet and dry vac.
Now I have the Sonic Pad prints are better and faster. This is PETG done in vase mode.

Attachments

• 20230114_114507.jpg
    20230114_114507.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230114_114514.jpg
    20230114_114514.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230114_114520.jpg
    20230114_114520.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
I can now print at 150mm/s+ with upto 3000mm/s acceleration. Print times are down, print quality is up.
Nice.

On my Ender 3 V2 with a stock hot end (but a bi-metallic heat break and a 0.6mm CHT nozzle) I'm generally running at 65mm/s with 800mm/s^2 acceleration.

Certainly from what I've seen it's the acceleration that makes the really big difference to print times; as you so rarely hit the target linear speed (except on really big models). I must get off my butt and try Klipper on a Pi... but I have been saying that to myself for months :)

Nice.

On my Ender 3 V2 with a stock hot end (but a bi-metallic heat break and a 0.6mm CHT nozzle) I'm generally running at 65mm/s with 800mm/s^2 acceleration.

Certainly from what I've seen it's the acceleration that makes the really big difference to print times; as you so rarely hit the target linear speed (except on really big models). I must get off my butt and try Klipper on a Pi... but I have been saying that to myself for months :)
Honestly Sploo I put it off for ages as I was sure I would end up throwing it out the window, but it was pretty seamless.

Loc line dust extraction for my pillar drill. Can be extended by adding adding as shown 3rd photo. Made to fit to standard wet and dry vac.
Now I have the Sonic Pad prints are better and faster. This is PETG done in vase mode.
Nice to see even a single wall is strong enough to hold like that! This may be the route I end up going down for my cheapo silverline drill.

I have never owned (or used) a 3d printer, so I don't really know what I'm talking about, however the subject came up recently with some friends and aparently some housing associations explicitally ban the use of 3D printers because of their tendency to overheat and so a fire risk.

Not sure how credible that is?
I've had 3D printers for a few years and never had a fire, having said that it has definitely happened to people, one key reason is the power connector linking the power supply to the printer as they are often counterfeits and poor quality.
Things have moved on over the years and most good quality branded printers would be as safe as your fridge 🤣😂😉

Attachments

• IMG_20230504_122730.jpg
    IMG_20230504_122730.jpg
    871.4 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20230504_122705.jpg
    IMG_20230504_122705.jpg
    864.9 KB · Views: 0
Came across these parts to make a jig to mark out pins on a dovetail joint, the jig itself is handy, I think (haven't tried it yet), but what makes it extra interesting is the fact that he included a little offset. It is a workalike of Rob Cosmans "Shawn Shim" method (albeit with a single offset)
https://www.printables.com/model/492563-dovetail-jig
dovetailjigthumb.webp

Keen on giving this one a try, dovetails fitting right off the saw speeds things up considerably.

Came across these parts to make a jig to mark out pins on a dovetail joint, the jig itself is handy, I think (haven't tried it yet), but what makes it extra interesting is the fact that he included a little offset. It is a workalike of Rob Cosmans "Shawn Shim" method (albeit with a single offset)
https://www.printables.com/model/492563-dovetail-jig
dovetailjigthumb.webp

Keen on giving this one a try, dovetails fitting right off the saw speeds things up considerably.
That's pretty cool, could always modify the files if you needed a different offset.

I'm a fan of the rebate method as it allows you to hide the groove for a bottom panel if needed, but the method above would be quicker and usefull when you don't need to hide a groove.

Going to print this and give it a try, thanks for sharing.

Haven't tried it out yet, but I did print the parts and scrounged the hardware at work. It seems like it is going to work, but the flaps on the rear are in the way of marking the half pins, and for material thinner than 12mm / 0.5" the offset nubs get in the way. Might do an alternative design this weekend, but I am going to try the jig out on 3/4" stock first. Also, I could only get 12mm bar stock, so if I am doing a design, I'll change it over to 12mm.

I've done a couple recently. I did a marking gauge for the Clamex S-20 system. Peter Millard was doing a give away so the gauge offered an easy method for the give away winners to try the Clamex out. Clamex S-20 Hole Marker by paulrbarnard

On Wednesday I was knocking up a shaker syle door for my daughter using some 18mm MDF and the Domino 500 doesn't have a stop for 18mm boards. Being OCD I inevitably set it using the scale but figured I'd print out a replacement stop that has a setting for 18mm. I canvased some feedback from the 10 Minute Workshop crew and did two versions. the 'standard' one with 12, 15, 18, 22, 25, 30 and 40mm stops and a 'veneer' version with stops at 15, 17.5, 18, 19, 22, 32 and 40mm. They work nicely. Domino 500 Replacement Stop by paulrbarnard

I've done a couple recently. I did a marking gauge for the Clamex S-20 system. Peter Millard was doing a give away so the gauge offered an easy method for the give away winners to try the Clamex out. Clamex S-20 Hole Marker by paulrbarnard

On Wednesday I was knocking up a shaker syle door for my daughter using some 18mm MDF and the Domino 500 doesn't have a stop for 18mm boards. Being OCD I inevitably set it using the scale but figured I'd print out a replacement stop that has a setting for 18mm. I canvased some feedback from the 10 Minute Workshop crew and did two versions. the 'standard' one with 12, 15, 18, 22, 25, 30 and 40mm stops and a 'veneer' version with stops at 15, 17.5, 18, 19, 22, 32 and 40mm. They work nicely. Domino 500 Replacement Stop by paulrbarnard
The domino stop is a great idea, will definitely be printing this tomorrow, thank you for creating and sharing!

So, turns out I did make a variant for the dovetailjig found on printables.com :)
Had a bit of time, and since I only had 12mm square bar, the extra slop on the printables jig which was designed for 1/2" bar stock made fitting it extra fiddly.
Also, I wanted one for use with thin stock.
Will post here tomorrow, but it works really well.
20231015_225000.jpg

This is 9mm meranti, not completely "off the saw" (and glued, planed and finished with a little bit of BLO), I did do a little bit of paring, but definitely quicker than without jig, and definitely neater. Lower pin has a little gap, paring mistake on my part. Stoked to use it on a real project.

Edit: remix entry on Printables created:
https://www.printables.com/model/616830-dovetail-jig-optimised-for-use-in-thin-stock

Last edited:
The domino stop is a great idea, will definitely be printing this tomorrow, thank you for creating and sharing!
Tom I made a couple of minor tweeks to the model. The indents needed bedding in previously. I’ve rounded them over a bit more and I’ve strengthened the finger pull as I managed to break one off while pulling the stop backwards and forwards to bed in the indents 🙄. If you haven’t printed yet it’s worth downloading the updated files.

If a 3D printer has been properly designed and CE/UKCA approved, there should be no more concern about fire risk than any other piece of equipment. The testers, if they have done their job properly, should have identified any risk of overheating and looked for a single failure which might cause a fire.
Not all 3D printers are approved.
Printers nowadays have a failsafe sensor fitted in case of overheating. Mine stopped for this very reason. Can't remember what it said on the screen but I had to change the thermistor, about £15. I have an Artillery Hornet, a very basic printer but good at printing simple stuff. Keep the parts well oiled (sewing machine oil works so far) and it'll keep on going.

For 3D printers I have two recommendations:

1 - If you want a 3D printer as a tool that just works, go for a Bamboo Labs printer. They are a recent entrant to the market that are a real disruptor. True plug and play. They also have a filament changer option to allow you to mix filament in a single print.

2 - If you want a 3D printer as a hobby to tinker with and play with, upgrade, modify, etc then look at a Voron kit. Parts you build yourself from a thorough guide, and can be a very capable printer. You will learn mechanical assembly, machine maintenance, wiring and soldering (high and low voltage, etc. I have three and they occupy me indoors when it's too cold out in the garage.

Back