Collapsible light box puzzler help please

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DMF

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Well i thought projects would start in the spring but a urgent plea for help from a friend has changed this.

I need to make a photographic light box that can be collapsible using various old scrapes of wood and a old laminated cupboard, don't laugh! It will have a base, back, two sides and a top, now the trick is is to have it so you can use it with the back and one side on, the back, top and another side etc etc apparently.

Now lots of details don't matter here, my problem is the basic frame and how to fix it so it comes apart easily preferably without tools, the bottom of the frames / panels can be located with dowels so that's cool, same for the top into the top of the sides and back panel, my problem is thinking of a cheap way to fix the top corners, say if you want to use the back and one side only, cunning plans anyone?! I'm currently at nails in each piece and a elastic band!

Brief is cheap and practical, friend says all will be covered with white paint and it's what happens inside that's important.

Thanks!

Dean

What about using lift-off hinges to connect sides and top to back panel?
That way each can be removed easily and independently of each other.
You could even use quick release Blum style hinges if you've got some lying around.

How big does the box need to be?

Thank you Benjimano, never seen lift-off hinges but a quick google shows cheap and do-able for the connection of sides to back panel, the top can be dowels and gravity although would be better fixed. Images i saw looked like they could be used on the exterior of the angle to save shiny reflective things in the box itself? Looked at blum style ones as well but think i need to google those more!

Box is only small, say 500x400x400mm max, he mainly does weird macro shots of moss and other arty clever stuff. I was worried about light bleed through the edge, just dowels at the bottom means the tops would have splayed out i'd have thought so that's the thinking there.

Cheers,

Dean

If it's only small, you could get a cheap light tent off of eBay.
I got one and I think it was £8.
Very light, folds away into a record type bag and has different coloured backgrounds too.

Yes did suggest this but this way gives him much more flexibility apparently, this started a large conversation about how and what he photographs etc most of which i didn't understand but i heard things like he wants two tops one solid another framed with small dowels between to hang things off, sides framed with a grove routed all round and a slot at the top to slide different panels / light sources in, that kind of thing. Which is all a shame really because my ebay and paypal skills are pretty good and my woodwork ones in their infancy!

Anyway i had i right brain block on that one so i do appreciate it and i have some hinges on order, he has a gallery exhibition and will be running workshops at the same time so trail / part of the prep for that, hopefully there'll be a happy snapper soon :D

Dean

Back