Collaborative Piece 2

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Philip Streeting

Established Member
Reaction score
Ok, George brought with him an unfinished hollow form for me to work with. We didn't discuss how I might approach the piece, he just left it for me to think about.

It was a spalted form and might usually be finished to make best use of the spalting by sanding and polishing etc.

After a day of thinking and looking I decided to use the main spalting pattern smoothe and texture the rest of the form up to the edge of the black line spalt.

It has the been stained. As yet I have not applied a finish but I'm probably going to use oil on the texture and maybe polish or similar on the sanded section to emphasise the differences.

Hope you approve George.

Phil

gb4web.jpg

gp3web.jpg

gp2web.jpg

GP1web.jpg

Your mind definitely works in a different dimension Philip, I'd never have thought of doing it that way. Very effective and I like whether George does or not. It is very reptilian, like it's shedding a skin.

pete

Hi Phil,

I think that polishing the untextured half will look excellent.

It will really help to envasise the difference in the 2 halves while at the same time highlighting how they both work equally to create an overall, stunning form.

Looking forward to seeing this piece finished.

Cheers,

Lee.

I really appreciate the organic and natural blend achieved in this piece.
I can see a distinct difference in your approach Philip, you visualise in form and the possibilities of manipulating or enhancing what you see, whereas myself and I guess many hobbyists only see the exposure of the character in the substrate as the climax, and would have been most unlikely to have entrapped the figuring of the spalting within another layer of creative embellishment.

Sorry if that sounds like a load of waffle but I find it difficult to express what the treatment of this piece is saying to me.

I think that looks great, like the piece has been caught mid-decay.
Im still highly impressed looking at hollow forms such as this, with the small aperture and deep undercut, let alone taking all that for granted and using advanced finishing techniques.

Hi Phil.

This is an absolutly stunning piece i am lost for words.
When i left this with you i had no idea of what you would do with it i am just amazed.
I recon if i do the hollowing and you do the texturing we would make a great team.
Well done mate.
JUST DONT BLOODY BURN IT.

Kindest regards George.

Hi Philip

It looks really good. I like the texturing and the colour which adds an age and much interest.

Take care

Mark

monkeybiter":2l7k9mr2 said:
I think that looks great, like the piece has been caught mid-decay.

my feelings also, looks like some of the half eaten/rotten acorns i found at the weekend .

Its a stunning piece.

I have to agree.. STUNNING!!!

I wasn't sure at 1st as the distance shot didn't do it justice, but after looking at the close ups the only word that comes to mind is WOW.

Looking forward to seeing more.

Having been looking at this piece for a while now Phillip i have to say that i do like it. :D
Love the colour and the textured effect you have achieved.Nice form also :D
What is the wood used :?:

Back