Coffee Table design question

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HornBen

Established Member
Reaction score
Good Morning All…

I have a question with regards to a coffee table I was planning to make. I have a fairly large piece of sycamore which I was hoping to use for the top. I also have a lovely piece of rose wood which I was hoping to use as a centre section of the table. So plan would be to split the sycamore and flatten and thickness it. Then have a centre section of the rosewood to joint the two pieces of sycamore. Legs/rails etc. would then also be rosewood.

Does anyone see any problems with splitting the sycamore down the centre and inserting a centre section of rosewood the same thickness for the entire length of the coffee table. Plan would be to joint the rosewood to the sycamore using biscuit joints and glue?

Thanks in advance for any tips/advice.

Ben

With my limited knowledge I would say none at all as far as the splitting and biscuiting goes, while the rosewood and sycamore will expand and contract seasonally across the grain at different rates (I mean the rosewood might move just a few MM across it's width and the sycamore 5mm or more; (someone else can help you there I'm sure) as long as all of the ends are free, nothing will happen). The only thing I would say to watch for is how you attach the top to the legs, because as they move differently - so the fixing system should take the variation into account if you plan on attaching at all 3 parts of the top slab.

Alternatively - just use buttons and slots in the short end rails - don't put any along the long side rails as the rosewood will still move, but as it's a different bit of wood to the sycamore - odd things might happen.

I would also recommend spring joints to ensure the ends of the boards don't open up in the summer.

Thanks for the reply rafezetter,

Yes I'd looked at the options for fitting the top to the base. I haven't decided exactly on the design for the base yet but will use the method you have suggested (or similar) to make sure that the top can expand relative to the base...

Cheers,

Ben

Latest posts

Back