Coffee beans. How do I make them make coffee?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm no connoisseur, but like coffee from freshly ground beans. I use a cafetière and find most people don't use enough coffee. Generally 3/4" to 1" deep at the bottom is about right regardless of the size of the glass wotsit. Bearing in mind the price of a bag of beans is about the same as that for a cuppa in a coffee shop, why stint?

Rorschach":19xmbxob said:
How do you use an aluminium moka pot on an induction hob?

As said, buy a steel one but what I did was buy a steel converter plate which is just a disk of 3mm stainless steel whith a couple of holes and a wire lifter, works a treat and not expensive. If you want to go even cheaper you can buy just about any size steel disk off ebay.

Is nobody else using an Aeropress? A little more fiddly than a cafetiere but the coffee is better. Much cheaper and simpler than a plumbed in machine. Keep your beans in the fridge, grind what you need for a brew and use straight away. All that lovely aroma when you are grinding is flavour disappearing into the air that won't make it into your cup.
Don't be tempted by pods - they lock you in to the razor blade/printer ink model of pricing and supply.

If you go down the filter method, avoid the machines that keep the coffee hot - it can stew them.
Use a cheap filter funnel placed over your mug.

Rod

Benchwayze":35nv11q4 said:
I use gas for cooking, so I suppose I could stick my griddle iron on the jets, to use a pot on the stove? :idea:

This all seems like an Alchemist's dream and a bit arcane. Usually I just like my coffee black; or on occasions I drop in some cream.
But it's an interesting subject and I am learning a lit!

Cheers

John

I'm on gas John and just stick it on the regular hob it works fine. Mind the handle'so to the side.
Water goes in the bottom, coffee above. Steam is forced through the coffee and splutters up to the top bit. Pour it out job done. Takes about 3 minutes.
Cheers
Chris

AndyT":22rlkazg said:
Is nobody else using an Aeropress? A little more fiddly than a cafetiere but the coffee is better. Much cheaper and simpler than a plumbed in machine. Keep your beans in the fridge, grind what you need for a brew and use straight away. All that lovely aroma when you are grinding is flavour disappearing into the air that won't make it into your cup.
Don't be tempted by pods - they lock you in to the razor blade/printer ink model of pricing and supply.

Yes, I use the aeropress -great invention, just £25 for amazing coffee.

For Mr. Teroo,

No, no interest in worrying about cholesterol. I am following a low-carb hi-fat diet, It takes a lot of cholesterol to make a person, and if you lower your levels too far, your liver merely produces a top-up! Lol! I tried to buy a filter coffee maker, but I couldn't find one on the shelves. That was why I bought the cafetiere.

For Phil.p
Takes all sorts Phil! :D I used to feel the same about garlic. Now I use it in most of my 'Pot-Messes'!

Amazing range on here. As above I use a double boiler rocket now, but I used to use a Francis Francis for well over a decade (still have it) that uses paper pods. These are not crazy expensive if you buy in bulk on line. I also have a nespresso on my desk at work and one at home, but the pods are a rip off and the coffee is only OK, though you do get some crema. I don't like filter coffee all that much as teh taste is vastly different to an espresso through a portafilter. Never tried the Moka system myself, as when I have been served it the coffee tastes bitter, but that could be the beans or the person making it. Hard to believe there are so many systems for making a cup of coffee.

Grinding is a black art as well. Especailly for espresso.

On balance, I'll look into finding a good supplier of fresh-ground beans. I'll have to experiment with flavours I suppose. Plus, I have just come across a nice filter machine which will sit beside the bed all night, on timer. That way I can wake up to a fresh cup, ready to pour! Sets me up for the day does my morning coffee. My Lady is in care now, so much as I miss not having Jean here, I might as well please myself. (She never liked having such things in the bedroom!)

Thanks folks. By all means keep the discussion going if you wish!

Cheers

John

I use Monsoon Estates Coffee Co based at Stratford upon Avon.
Excellent coffee and very friendly service.
Good range of coffees including Swiss Water Treatment decaffeinated.
Postage free on 4 or more packs.

Rod

Benchwayze":29bfimhw said:
For Mr. Teroo,

No, no interest in worrying about cholesterol. I am following a low-carb hi-fat diet, It takes a lot of cholesterol to make a person, and if you lower your levels too far, your liver merely produces a top-up! Lol! I tried to buy a filter coffee maker, but I couldn't find one on the shelves. That was why I bought the cafetiere.

For Phil.p
Takes all sorts Phil! :D I used to feel the same about garlic. Now I use it in most of my 'Pot-Messes'!

They are out of fashion now, which means you can pick up hardly used ones on ebay for peanuts.
I recently got an all in one filter / espresso / capuccino machine for a tenner. £240 when new only 4/5 years ago. It is in as new condition.

Hi

Some of us have to take our coffee on the go so are forced to enter what is know as 'A Coffee House'. For those who only drink at home, let me tell you that there are a wide range of these establishments on every high street. For a generally reasonable, nearly always the same cup, I go to Costa or Café Nero. I dislike Starbuck's coffee so much that, when on the motorway and gasping, I will carry on PAST a Starbuck's outlet to the next Costa. My colleagues think I'm mad, but......

Phil

treeturner123":3qfkb61k said:
I dislike Starbuck's coffee so much that, when on the motorway and gasping, I will carry on PAST a Starbuck's outlet to the next Costa.

Same here. Starbucks coffee is awful.

Cheers :wink:

Paul

treeturner123":ppji8vzg said:
Hi

Some of us have to take our coffee on the go so are forced to enter what is know as 'A Coffee House'. For those who only drink at home, let me tell you that there are a wide range of these establishments on every high street. For a generally reasonable, nearly always the same cup, I go to Costa or Café Nero. I dislike Starbuck's coffee so much that, when on the motorway and gasping, I will carry on PAST a Starbuck's outlet to the next Costa. My colleagues think I'm mad, but......

Phil

Starbucks over roast their beans, so the strong taste notes are more burnt flavours than coffee.

I used to quite like Starbucks, but I cant touch it these days.

AndyT":39i40uff said:

yep.
I'd say less faff than a cafetiere, so much easier to clean it. inverted method is as quick if not quicker than a cafetiere too.

haven't used a cafetiere since I got one and not used a moka pot in months. so happy with it I had to buy another one when the wife melted it.
all well and good having an amazing machine that does it for you, but few of them beat the aeropress and all of them take a lot more time and effort to clean.

as to grinding. I'll grind a weekends worth at a time, 2-4 days is the maximum. if you can get it, try to get beans from a local roasting house (google for one), they'll be fresher than store bought, but if your like me and cheap/lazy, some store bought are ok, I don't like Taylors, but that's personal.

hand grinder is fine if it's just for you, machine grinder if your making for more than one. burr grinder, not blades makes a better grind, I'm very happy with my delongi Kg79 machine grinder but also have a hario mss-1b hand grinder for traveling.

For info: Waitrose are now doing a wide range (maybe 20) of different ground coffees in quite small packages, for those who want to buy ready ground. This includes various roasts and single bean varieties or robusta and arabica.

AJB Temple":38rab1p1 said:
For info: Waitrose are now doing a wide range (maybe 20) of different ground coffees in quite small packages, for those who want to buy ready ground. This includes various roasts and single bean varieties or robusta and arabica.

Waitrose Java is the only coffee we drink now. Superb.

We've tried lots over the years but this one beats them all.

LN_016432_BP_11.jpg

Back