Coasters, how to make them.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stooby

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I want to make some coasters for my nephew birthday in May. He is into Marvel superheros and I thought their logos would make good designs.
I have them run into lots of questions that I hope you can all help with.
I have seen really nice inlay examples on these forums. What are good woods to use for coasters.
What should I use to finish them?
I have also seen examples with a metal surface. I haven't tried scroll sawing metal. Is it hard? Also how do you glue the metal to the wood. If I went down this route what would be a good wood to use for the base?

Sorry for so many questions, thanks everyone.

Hi Stooby. I cn't help with the inlay Question, Gill is the expert in this field and I expect she will read your post at some point. I have used most hardwoods for coasters, whatever takes your fancy really. I find the lighter coloured woods go better than darker ones. I use Beech, maple, Oak and a few others. I use spray on laquer for the finish, you may want to use a sanding sealer first.

I also use various metals, especially brass. The brass I am using at the moment is 1.2mm thick and obviously you need a metal cutting blade. I use number 5s and 7s and find the cutting a piece of cake. I mount the brass plate onto thin plywood first to avoid scratching the scroll saw table. For fixing the metel to wood I use a 2 part epoxy rsin, like araldite, when applying the glue don't get it to close to the edges or any cut outs.

I am enclosing a photo of a house sign I recently made to give you an idea. The wood is oak.

Attachments

• House sign.jpg
    House sign.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 1,075
Thanks as ever Geoff I will have to look up all of the things you mention, not used laquer or sanding sealer before. I have some metal blades and thin metal, not tried it yet and the plywood is good advice. Love the house sign, that might distract me on projects as we could do with a new sign. I think I have asked before but of I cut that our of oak what would be the best way to finish it to weather proof it?

Hi Stooby
Did cut some coasters a while back, although I have to admit I haven't actually put a finish on most of them yet. one set I covered in Danish oil as that was recommended to me, but I personally hate Danish oil, as it makes everything look the same colour.
I did 'road test' wax and lacquer finishes, but the wax (not surprisingly) marked with the first tea mug that was put onto it, the lacquer was not much better, but maybe it needed longer to cure?
I am just in the process of trying out Chestnut's melamine lacquer spray, which claims to be heat and water resistant, and certainly doesn't change the colour of the wood. The directions suggest a seven day cure for heat resistance, but might be the best option if you can get your hands on it. I will do a test piece and let you know results if you like
I don't know that there is any 'best' wood for coasters, whatever takes your fancy, I did a set in BB ply and they look fine, the ones I did in oak are the ones I finished in Danish oil and they came out a bit darker than I wanted.
If you are doing them as inlay, then any wood that gives you the contrasts/toning colours - including BB ply
Looking forward to seeing the finished coasters :)

Gill

Hi Stooby. There, I said Gill would be along with some advice. I made a house sign for a customer some years ago and last week she got in touch to say parts were going black, which surprised me as all my outside stuff has 4 coats of Danish oil. The customer asked me to make a new one for her, which I have enclosed. This time though it has several coats of boiled linseed oil and i don't really like the stuff as each coat takes a day to dry. Again, it is made in oak and the lady is absolutely potty about her dogs.

Attachments

• Oakmead.jpg
    Oakmead.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 1,027
Thanks Gill and Geoff.
Gill if you can let me know how you get on with the Chestnuts that would be great, I have time to make and let cure, not in my usual rush to get presents made.
Another good sign Geoff.

Chippygeoff":tbreia2b said:
Hi Stooby. There, I said Gill would be along with some advice. I made a house sign for a customer some years ago and last week she got in touch to say parts were going black, which surprised me as all my outside stuff has 4 coats of Danish oil. The customer asked me to make a new one for her, which I have enclosed. This time though it has several coats of boiled linseed oil and i don't really like the stuff as each coat takes a day to dry. Again, it is made in oak and the lady is absolutely potty about her dogs.

Geoff, what did you use to bevel the hearts? I've seen a small router base that attaches to rotary tools and was wondering if you could use small edging bits on one, as all I currently have is a bloody great Mikita, much too cumbersome for detailed work. Cheers, and nice work, as ever.

Hi Jamie. I did the round over of the hearts on the router table, the roller guide on the cutter is only about 6mm so I can get into some quite small cut outs. I also use a Makita router on the router table but it's one of the smallest ones they make. I have a range of rounding over bits so can choose one to suit the piece I am working on.

Back