cnc programming

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

La Gib

Established Member
Reaction score
I've been looking a t a cnc routing machine, a small one. But how hard is the programming.
Looking at the video at shows a face being carved out of solid wood. How hard is it to programme such a thing.

Cheers Alan

There is a lot of software out there which will make your life easier. But basic knowledge of CAD/CAM is essential. Having knowledge of Illustrator or other Vector software will also help.

You might be better off spending some time on the CNC Zone forums.

La Gib":4jzo69mk said:
I've been looking a t a cnc routing machine, a small one. But how hard is the programming.
Looking at the video at shows a face being carved out of solid wood. How hard is it to programme such a thing.

Cheers Alan

Hi Alan,

Hand programming is really a thing of the past, most things are drawn in CAD then the machine code is produced by a CAM programme.

3D face carving etc is more about the skill of modelling, take a look at the best software available from www.Vectric.com. you can start with a basic 2D maching programme and then upgrade through various levels to the 3D Aspire.
All of their programmes can be downloaded to tryout without any time limit, they will only output the free models to a CNC machine.

Do you have any CAD experience ?

Have a look at the Vectric tutorials, I think they are the best way to learn about CNC.

I have reasonable computer experience but have not used a cad programme before. I usually pick things up quite quickly which is why I was wondering how difficult it is. I will have a look at some programmes as suggested by Cnc Paul.

I would use it to make individual personalised items, signs and plaques. And components for mirrors. drawers, stools etc. I suppose once you have a set of saved programmes files created and saved they can be called upon at any time. When I make childrens stools I make in batches of 5 for instance, then I have storage problems. With the cnc machine I can just add a blank load the saved file and make the part when it's needed. Does this sound resonable?

As far as a machine is is concerned what do you guys think of this kit it is the smallest of the range. I would have room for the Z90LSP also. Would it be worth the extra money.

http://www.routoutcnc.com/z90router.html

Z90SP Inc Free Training DVD - £1600 + Vat
Cutting Area (Z90SP:) X= 395mm , Y=370mm , Z=84mm

Does the Z90Sp look like a good value and reliable machine.

Thanks Alan

hi I have emailed the company to get overall sizes.

Has anyone ever used one of these machines.

Cheers Alan

Back