Clock

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hitch

Established Member
Reaction score
Knocked this one for a little Christmas present.
Quite pleased with it, but...

Oak and purple heart, with Kingwood pivots.

There are two things i wish i had done different now...

Firstly, the bit between the ring and base. I dont like the shape of that now its all glued together. I think a more traditional tapered shape would have been better...
Secondly, i put the pivots on an angle to try and add a bit of interest. Obviously it tilts the clock over at a slight angle, which i wasnt concerned about. But i fear it makes the oak ring look like its not central.

Attachments

• clocksmall.jpg
    clocksmall.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 991
A very good go at the clock a nice design, but have to agree about the support not quite the right shape. I like the idea of putting the pivot at an angle is the centre piece tilting back a little which gives the appearance that it is off centre.
Some times when making things I do a dry fit and have a good look before glueing that way you can change things as needed

Best way to do a self critique is to try an idea and then see if it works for you, you now have a better idea of cause and effect and can alter your design for a future one.

Personal critiques would be to go along with your plainer simple curved taper pedestal (let the wood talk not the enthusiastic turner) and I think the outer ring could do with being slimmer in profile to lighten the look of the assembly. (compare with metal globe and compass gimbals)

Offset pedestal fixing, could you reposition it at 90 deg. to the clock gimbal spindle and disguise the existing fixing hole and a companion dummy on the other side with a shallow decorative plug.

I did do a dry run and seemed happy with it, thought it looked good. Its when i photographed it it didn't look right.

I think you are right about the outer ring though, looking at it now.

I'm leaving it as is now, for fear of ruining it! I know it will be loved regardless of my own opinion.

Latest posts

Back