Clifton plane sale!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

David111s

Established Member
Reaction score
Happy Boxing Day!

Just noticed all Clifton planes are in the Axminster clearance sale!

Just thought I'd share that...

Regards

David

The word is the range has been dropped because production is being moved abroad and Axi aren't happy about it. They apparently have their own range of premium planes being developed at the moment.

The main appeal with clifton is that they make high quality, well engineered and british made products. I've no doubt that the far east produce some quality items but I'm sure clifton will struggle if production is moved out of the uk. I'll certainly have no interest in buying any future products if its true.

Noggsy":1pf5t7vx said:
The word is the range has been dropped because production is being moved abroad and Axi aren't happy about it. They apparently have their own range of premium planes being developed at the moment.

Oooh wonder if we will see an Axi version of Quangsheng planes then :D If we do, i hope we get the half sizes like 4 1/2, 5 1/2 8) This is the reason i haven't yet purchased one of the Quangsheng planes as i prefer the half sizes.

It's what one of the staff told me in the shop, can't say how reliable they are though.

Noggsy":ys1kalkv said:
The word is the range has been dropped because production is being moved abroad...
That would be very sad if it's true. It was inevitable that the introduction of Quangsheng planes would seriously hurt Clifton sales :cry: I thought Clico made Clifton planes almost as a hobby, and would rather drop the line than send production overseas.

Noggsy":ys1kalkv said:
...and Axi aren't happy about it. They apparently have their own range of premium planes being developed at the moment.
Manufactured "abroad" no doubt :roll:

Lets hope it's not true.

Cheers, Vann.

Business...any business...has a duty to its shareholders/owners to make money.

The fact that Axminster is increasing their range of two imports...not from China but from the Americas...indicates to me that they sell and not only sell, but are sold profitably even after freight costs from over the Atlantic!

The Canadians and Americans are clearly making money from their products and doing so internationally.

So...putting aside the merits of the products themselves and looking only at the popularity....then the mix has to be correct..right across the business to succeed.

Of course the whole thing might be for completely different reasons which we are (so far) not party to.

Jim

Today I popped up to Axminster in High Wycombe, just a few minutes from me. I had been given a couple of gift cards totalling £40.

I picked up a small 150mm adjustable square for £4 ish and then saw the cabinet with all the 'bling' planes so on a whim bought a Clifton no.4.

I have to say it's lovely, I have a Record no.4 and Stanley no.4 that I thought worked very well but now know they just work quite well.

So a trip to the shop to spend my £40 cost me £150. Ah well.

Mick

Clifton moving abroad?! I do hope not! Must admit I was rather suprised to see them in the clearance but never thought they might be dropped for those reasons.

I've spoken to Clifton - they most definitely are NOT moving production abroad and will continue to make planes in Sheffield.
Hope this helps,
Philly

Philly":1rt6uauz said:
I've spoken to Clifton - they most definitely are NOT moving production abroad and will continue to make planes in Sheffield.
Hope this helps,
Philly

Many thanks for clarifying that, Philly. I felt the rumour was hard to believe.

Cheers :wink:

Paul

I would take what sales reps and shop staff say with a pinch of salt - I've heard some utter BS in my time . This is a pretty typical spoiler
Matt

Axminster may not be continuing to support my hometown, but I shall. My christmas money will be heading to Thomas Flinn this year.

Rather than speculate on what has happened to cause the Clifton planes to be removed from the new 2013 line-up....I think it would be worth waiting for an official view from either party or both.

There might be some totally innocent reason for this change. One thing's for sure.....Axminster are, temporarily at least, one of the cheapest place to get one...eh Mick!? :wink:

Jim

jimi43":2ecmpcj3 said:
Rather than speculate on what has happened to cause the Clifton planes to be removed from the new 2013 line-up....I think it would be worth waiting for an official view from either party or both.

There might be some totally innocent reason for this change. One thing's for sure.....Axminster are, temporarily at least, one of the cheapest place to get one...eh Mick!? :wink:

Jim

Jim they are!

Today I have just made shavings from bits of scrap wood rather then actually made anything.

Been comparing my existing planes with the newby just trying to justify the expense. I did think that in 6 months I could probably sell the Clifton and may even get my money back but I see this as something I will be happy to keep forever.

Mick

Jim - mea culpa. I probably shouldn't have repeated gossip without checking, apologies.

Lie Nielsen have a Lifetime Warranty. Is Clifton's the same - I can't find any details on their warranty. Thanks.

Back