Clifton plane sale!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Paul Chapman":1mzh53vl said:
Philly":1mzh53vl said:
I've spoken to Clifton - they most definitely are NOT moving production abroad and will continue to make planes in Sheffield.
Hope this helps,
Philly

Many thanks for clarifying that, Philly. I felt the rumour was hard to believe.

Cheers :wink:

Paul

Thanks Philly. That's saved me from having a seriously spoiled day. :)

Axminster seem also to have de-listed many of the Henry Taylor carving tools - I ended up buying a Kirschen (needed in a hurry) because the HT equivalent had been dropped. In future, I'll shop elsewhere if necessary. Sheffield needs support. :(

Noggsy":3mohfgvh said:
The word is the range has been dropped because production is being moved abroad and Axi aren't happy about it. They apparently have their own range of premium planes being developed at the moment.

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo :cry:

Grayorm":2qhufhkk said:
Noggsy":2qhufhkk said:
The word is the range has been dropped because production is being moved abroad and Axi aren't happy about it. They apparently have their own range of premium planes being developed at the moment.

I've spoken to Clifton - they most definitely are NOT moving production abroad and will continue to make planes in Sheffield.
Hope this helps,
Philly

Instantly fixed on P1 by Philly the Healer!

:wink:

Jim

jimi43":9j0l5mr6 said:
Grayorm":9j0l5mr6 said:
Noggsy":9j0l5mr6 said:

Hope this helps,
Philly

Jim
Any reason that Clifton would divulge such sensitive information if it were true? I'm sure if they were moving production they wouldn't just let anyone know until they absolutely had to.

SBJ":19d2meg1 said:
jimi43":19d2meg1 said:
Grayorm":19d2meg1 said:

Hope this helps,
Philly

Jim
Any reason that Clifton would divulge such sensitive information if it were true? I'm sure if they were moving production they wouldn't just let anyone know until they absolutely had to.

I would like to think that Philly has more of a relationship with them than just anyone!

Probably more accurate information than pure rumour and speculation which seems to be rife. :lol:

Jim

The most preposterous part of the rumour is the insinuation that Axminster would care about production in China. I mean come on.

Jake":1u6q9kqz said:
The most preposterous part of the rumour is the insinuation that Axminster would care about production in China. I mean come on.

Spot on there! Never thought of it from that direction...nice one Jake! =D>

Jim

jimi43":1yuv5j54 said:
Grayorm":1yuv5j54 said:
Noggsy":1yuv5j54 said:

Hope this helps,
Philly

Jim

Phewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww :D

SBJ":3mao69uq said:

How to lose most of your business instantly!
Surely 'Made in Sheffield' is one of their strongest selling points?

Isn't it time this silly thread was locked down, if not purged?
As demonstrated above, folks often respond to the first few posts without reading the full thread, thus perpetuating and reinforcing unfounded and potentially harmful rumour.

dunbarhamlin":eece426i said:
Isn't it time this silly thread was locked down, if not purged?
As demonstrated above, folks often respond to the first few posts without reading the full thread, thus perpetuating and reinforcing unfounded and potentially harmful rumour.

I dunno - it tells you something about Axminster sales and marketing techniques (especially as they monitor these forums and haven't been bothered to step in, disown the statement and quash it).

Hello everyone,

Sorry I have only just stumbled across this thread (might be best to give me a nudge in the future :) ). Please see the statement below and if you have any questions please feel free to ask, either on here, PM or email. If I don't know the answer i will do my best to find out for you!

Removal of Clico/Clifton from Axminster

As a company we have spent the last six months reviewing our product lines to ensure that we are able to offer customers the best range, value and innovation possible. We have introduced a number of new brands and seen exciting developments from existing brands, however we have had to also look at lines where we haven’t seen similar growth make a number of difficult decisions regarding the future relationships between Axminster and these suppliers.

Regrettably as part of this, we took the decision for 2013 to remove Clico/Clifton from the Axminster offering. Our ongoing work with one of Europes leading boring bits manufacturers; Fisch, meant that we had overlapping product lines and further analysis showed that the demand we were seeing for Clico/Clifton lines was not growing in line with the rest of the business, infact it was declining. As a company, it’s a difficult decision to move away from a longstanding supplier, particularly when that supplier manufactures in the UK; something we are incredibly passionate about. In order to be able to continue to offer you the service that we pride ourselves on, we must continue to move forward with our product offering and the suppliers which we use. Our passion for UK manufacture continues and we have a number of existing and potential UK manufacturing suppliers who we are proud to support, whilst we are no longer working with Clico/Clifton we continue to communicate with them and have a huge respect for their reputation and the products which they manufacture in the UK.

Regards,

All down to turnover and profit, as I thought. In this climate one can't expect any other decision from a business. Jessops didn't keep ahead of the market and see what's happened to them. I must admit Clifton are VERY expensive and who can these days, unless a very rich person or dare I say MADDDDD !!!!!!! (hammer) :shock: :twisted: :evil: :roll: :mrgreen: afford to buy a plane for several hundred pounds. Especially if its only for hobby work

Dangermouse":3dm38dzn said:
. Especially if its only for hobby work

Only hobbies :shock: ?!

Some people spend BIG money on hobbies - golfers, yachtsman, people with Porsches on track days, cyclists with carbon fibre bikes, cooks with a shelf full of Mauviel.

Why not woodwork?

BugBear

From my perspective as a customer Richard, it’s a difficult decision to move away from a longstanding supplier with a good and well earned reputation such as Axminster, and I respect the business reasoning outlined above, however for me personally I think a more rounded business plan should have room to support the few remaining British manufacturers of quality hand tools.

Given that it doesn't then I have already moved my personal loyalty to those retailers that do better support the home based manufacturers such as Clifton (while of course offering non-British alternatives as well for those that want them), such as Classic Hand Tools, Workshop Heaven, Turners Retreat, Toolpost, and more recently Peter Sefton's new enterprise for example. For more mainstream power tools and machinery there are also many alternative suppliers and my business will likewise follow elsewhere.

I don't expect it will register on Axminsters corporate earnings but I at least will feel more comfortable with spending my money with businesses more aligned with my way of thinking, which will make me feel happier at any rate :)

Incidentally, having emailed Axminsters Customer Service Manager on 28th December to ask about the change and expressing my thoughts, I have still to date not had any meaningful response or information except for a couple of "holding" responses, until I saw your posting above. The lack of meaningful response to date feels somewhat disrespectful as well as disappointing, and only reinforces my thoughts that I should go elsewhere in future.

Cheers, Paul

Well said, Paul - my thoughts exactly (I only received holding replies as well). Thank goodness for retailers like Classic Hand Tools :)

Cheers :wink:

Paul

bugbear":1wo0d1ym said:
Dangermouse":1wo0d1ym said:
. Especially if its only for hobby work

Only hobbies :shock: ?!

Some people spend BIG money on hobbies - golfers, yachtsman, people with Porsches on track days, cyclists with carbon fibre bikes, cooks with a shelf full of Mauviel.

Why not woodwork?

BugBear

If you got it, spend it, its just that some haven't and i'm getting a bit fed up with people just assuming everyone has bucket loads of dosh to lash out on tools etc for their pure enjoyment.

We all know that Axminster offer a very efficient and customer based business of which I have been and continue to be a customer.
I also have experienced great service from Classic Hand tools and Workshop Heaven both with very personal service, we have been advising and more lately selling tools to students to help support our teaching workshop and hope to offer the same level or service and advice as our contemporaries.
We have had excellent support from our British manufactures on our open days and free entry tool shows, including Ashley Iles, Sorby, Clifton and Flinn saws as well as Mathew from Workshop Heaven and Mike from Classic Hand tools all giving their time for free to demonstrate and promote themselves and woodworking (some of the bigger boys declined to attend).
I support and respect the British makers for staying true to the traditions and skills that have been passed down through the generations, they do not redesign and make tools that furniture makers have not needed for past two hundred years, are they looking after their customers or themselves?
I feel they need our support in return, if we don’t support them we will not have the choice or competition in the market to keep prices keen, we will all lose in the long term.
Now I am getting of my soap box and back to my work bench I am much more at home there.

Back