Clifton or Lie Nielsen

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mark_h

Established Member
Reaction score
I have managed to pursuade my better half that I can pop into Axminster at the end of the week when we head off on holiday. I want to treat myself to a descent No 4 Bench plane. Any thoughs from forum members on the relative merits or otherwise of the models from Clifton and Lie Nielsen (as they are stocked bt Axminster). Also anybody know if Axminster let you get your grubby paws on the goods before you buy?

Thanks

Mark H

Mark

Yes you can have a feel of the planes at Axminster before you buy. I do question your purchase of a No 4, would it not be better to go for the 4 1/2,or better still the 5 1/2?

My current Record & Marples planes are No's 4, 4.5 & 5.5. I tend to reach for the No 4 as my plane of choice. Not sure if this is natural choice or if I am being influenced by poor performance of the 1950-60s 2 3/8" wide planes? I will certainly have a look at the wider Cliftons and Lie Nielsens if they are prepared to get them out for me.

Mark H

a lot depends upon what you are going to use it for, but why not go even longer and get a decent jack, say a 6 or 7????

slope what slope :twisted: :roll:

can't see the point in smaller planes personally :lol:

paul :wink:

Mark

I have a few LNs, LVs and Cliftons and they all work equally as well.

The LN is the best manufactured, followed by the LV and Clifton in that order.

So, if you are only interested in performance, not the 'highest quality feel' you will not be disappointed with a Clifton. If you want something that feels really special, then the LN

Maybe there is someone on here with LNs etc. you could try out? Where do you live?

Living in North West Wales there are few opportunities to try things out, hence using all my powers of pursuasion for a stop off at Axminster when we go on our hols. Also have a strange urge to buy British - so if the Clifton looks good, and the LN isn't too nice!!.... Who Knows?

Neil - point taken on the spelling. I rely on MS Word to put those handy little red and green squigles under my regular errors.

Mark H

mark_h":3qnsx178 said:
Also have a strange urge to buy British - so if the Clifton looks good, and the LN isn't too nice!!.... Who Knows?

Hi Mark,

I'm a fan of Clifton planes and have the #3, #4 1/2, #6 and #7. I reckon if you go for a Clifton you won't be disappointed. In terms of performance, I would say that they are identical to LN. There is a difference in some of the materials used in their manufacture, although that doesn't really affect their performance. At a get-together recently https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/forums/view ... hp?t=16885 Rob, Pete and I compared a range of planes including Clifton, Lie Nielsen, Calvert Stevens and Norris. In terms of performance there wasn't a fag paper between them. Where there was a difference was in the feel of the planes and I think this is what it comes down to. If at all possible I would say try before you buy and base your choice on how you feel about the planes in use.

Let's know what you get :)

Cheers :wink:

Paul

Just been reading all your comments,I can only dream about owning a LN or Clifton planes because of the price tag, but I do own a set of LN cabinet scrapers and out of all the cabinet scrapers I have used in the past the LN cabinet scrapers or a 100 times better and stay sharper a lot longer than others, pitty he doesn't make the goose neck cabinet scraper.

Carl

I've got a #4 Clifton and it is gorgeous. As I understand things LN and Veritas planes come really well set up (certainly my Veritas low angle block plane was keen out the box) but once fettled the Clifton is a thing of beauty.

Mr Jay wrote:
Clifton is a thing of beauty.

......agreed, except for the 'Y' lever which is made from some softish alloy and will very quickly wear. The 'Y' levers on old Record or Stanley planes were cast from a much harder metal (probably cast iron) and are much superior, have a look at further info on 'Y' levers on Hand Tools forum - Rob

MrJay":w8s7km0m said:
I've got a #4 Clifton and it is gorgeous. As I understand things LN and Veritas planes come really well set up (certainly my Veritas low angle block plane was keen out the box) but once fettled the Clifton is a thing of beauty.

I am just thinking of buying a clifton 5 1/2 plane --
but i am a total ignoramus about hand planes having used old 2nd hand rubbish up till now.
I wouldn't have a clue as to what or how to fettle one nor why?
so could you explain a bit more for me please :oops:

thanks

Mike

mikepooley":30cq57v1 said:
MrJay":30cq57v1 said:

I am just thinking of buying a clifton 5 1/2 plane --
but i am a total ignoramus about hand planes having used old 2nd hand rubbish up till now.
so could you explain a bit more for me please :oops:

I have four Clifton planes and they all worked perfectly without any fettling :D

Cheers :wink:

Paul

Mikepooly wrote:
so could you explain a bit more for me please
The range of new high quality planes from established makers like LN,LV and Clifton require no fettling (apart from some attention to the cutter) and can be used straight out of the box. However, offerings from more mundane stables such as Record and Stanley will require some fettling to improve the performance. This is mainly making sure that the sole is flat 'specially just behind the mouth. The frog seating also needs to be checked and adjusted to make sure that both mate together. A better quality blade and CB will drastically improve the way the plane performs tho' the mouth may well have to be opened a tad with a smooth file. My recent experience has shown that a thicker blade will require the 'Y' lever to be modified so that it works effectively. Once these fettling processes have been done a mediocre Record or similar can be made to perform as well as a far more expensive version of the same but it involves a lot of work.
Incidentally, second hand old planes are very often much better than their new counterparts, so these are the ones to go for if you want to go down the fettling road :D - Rob

thanks for your advice - every time i try to improve or fettle a tool usually ends in throwing it in the bin so i think i will treat myself to the clifton :D

My trip to Axminster was very good and I was impressed by their shop and good customer service. I got to play with a number of Clifton and Lie Nielsen planes in No 4, 4.5 and 5 sizes. They were all very impressive and I could definitely see greater build and materials quality over my old Record and Marples planes.

In the end I went for the Clifton No 4 and having spent the next week on holiday in Cornwall I have now been able to get into my workshop and hone the blade.

Overall I am very impressed. I like the feel and weight of the plane, in addition, of course, to the excellent cutting ability. I have never before been able to take such thin shavings nor tackle such difficult timber.

A definite recommendation for the Clifton (although I will still be using my old planes for rougher jobs).

Mark H

Mark,

How long will it be before you make statements on this forum like:

"I have a few LNs, LVs and Cliftons and they all work equally as well."

I'm reliably informed that THIS serial :tool: gloater was once (not too long ago) a humble stanley user :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

mark_h":2v4lo5wm said:
My trip to Axminster was very good and I was impressed by their shop and good customer service.

Mark H

You found the slope then! :D I won't give you a push yet, but hang about and plenty will :wink: :lol:

Latest posts

Back