Clients, designs and decisions

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I used to run a property development business. If (rarely) we agreed to fit out a shell to client spec, we would always write a detailed spec and get client agreement in writing. Work did not start until this was agreed and significant deposit cleared. This stated clearly (and in T&Cs) that alterations costs extra, will not be done unless the cost - including cost of delays caused by alterations - is agreed in writing (and may not be agreed at all if it pushed us past our planned end date) and that materials already ordered will not be credited. We never provided credit - there had to be an agreed progress payment schedule and late payment resulted in immediate cessation of work. I was completely ruthless about this. Once clients get the message that you are 100% organised and process driven, there were very few problems. The key is to be very professional and firm.

One of the best bits of advice I read was to tell the customer that you want drawings (if needed) finished, details and material specs. all in writing before you even price the job and that if they change their minds after the start the cost will rise, not necessarily by just the cost of the material.

I had a friend, a sparky (now dead, sadly) who when I first asked for some work to be done said I don't do mate's rates, it's my living. I will give you a fair price for a good job and you will pay me what I've asked. OK? We got on brilliantly.

Bill Derr":3chuwzoz said:
woodbrains":3chuwzoz said:
Hello,

When first starting, I would not expect to make a lot of money by using family and friends as clients. I would (did) use the experience as a learning exercise to add to my kills,

Mike.

I know what you mean, there has been a few I could have happily killed, usually those with champagne tastes and lemonade pockets.

:wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink:

Hello,

Freudian slip?

Mike.

Back