Clever and stupid

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kjmc1957

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello again

I'm reasonably clever in every day life, honest, but in wood turning there are times when I'm thicker than the thickest thick thing, in readiness for the CL3 arriving I went ahead and bought a face plate, after trying it this afternoon I've realised that the thread on the face plate is the wrong way round to go onto the spindle, got it off e-bay so not to bothered, I'll put it back on and see what I can salvage. As the CL3 can't do outboard turning I assumed it was a straight forward purchase.

Now top the question, when I'm buying a face plate for a Record CL3 lathe, do I need right hand thread or left hand thread, because when I look on the net they come in both threads.

Any help gratefully received.

Regards

Kevin.

The direction of thread is usually dictated by the fact that as the lathe is used any torque application will want to tighten the item fitted i.e. if a left hand thread was used on the inboard side then in use eventually it is likely to come undone

Left hand threads are usually used for turning outside the bed of the lathe when rotated the normal way however with a swivelling headstock I cannot see this being an issue.

Some faceplates are tapped both left and right hand especially on graduate's

Back