Clear pent roof?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pike

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm starting to think the 10x10 waltons shed I put up only last year, is going to be easier to take down again rather than extend for my larger workshed :?

So now I'm thinking about a new build which may well have a pent roof. I'm wondering why you don't see many clear (perspex?) pent roofs? Is it security, heat or both? It seems to me the extra light would be great.

Carl

Fair point :) The same could be said for entirely clear walls. Great light but perhaps expensive. I suppose you might not want neighbours watching you pick your nose too..

Hi,

You might end up with a shed/greenhouse, if the summer ever comes!

Pete

I live in North Yorkshire. What is this "summer" thing you speak of?!

I was wondering about a wooden south facing wall, a clear roof and plenty windows in the north side. I guess it is a fact that some days will be very hot, but a fan could probably solve that, then you have all the light the rest of the grey year round.

I would think with a completely clear roof will result in a very hot shed on sunny days, you will probably need blinds to work in there especially round midday- 2pm. It would be great for natural light though.

You could use multiwall polycarbonate sheet, available in many sizes or cut to size, it's strong and whilst not clear is "transparent" (if that makes sense). Can get it in clear, opal, bronze and even a combination of two. Opal spreads the light more evenly. Thickness from 6mm double skin to 35mm multi are common.

Commonly used in conservatory roofs but you can fit into / onto timber or use some of the glazing bars available.

You can buy a vent window or a circular mechanical or powered vent to fit in if you ever do get sun there (we don't get much in Northumberland). :(

Do a google search or pm me and I'll list some suppliers
cheers
Bob

Not sure if it would work on a smallish shed, but you could consider the sort of roof found on many factories. In cross section it's a zig-zag, like the teeth of a rip saw: a glazed section, vertical or nearly so, then a sloping opaque section; oriented so the glazed part is towards the north. Max light, min solar heat gain.

That's interesting as I live right by Sessions in York, which has a saw tooth roof. Didn't notice if they were doing it for light but will look closer next time.

Bob, so far I have looked at basic PVC and then the much more expensive polycarbonate. I assumed the polycarbonate was pricey only because it lasts longer. Are you saying it is better at keeping the heat out too? If I were to build it now, I think I'd go for cheap PVC and then consider replacing it if I don't get on with it in years to come.

Update: I've had a read around and yes the polycarbonate roofing is better for insulation too.

pike":3uoko2z3 said:
That's interesting as I live right by Sessions in York, which has a saw tooth roof. Didn't notice if they were doing it for light but will look closer next time.

Bob, so far I have looked at basic PVC and then the much more expensive polycarbonate. I assumed the polycarbonate was pricey only because it lasts longer. Are you saying it is better at keeping the heat out too? If I were to build it now, I think I'd go for cheap PVC and then consider replacing it if I don't get on with it in years to come.

Update: I've had a read around and yes the polycarbonate roofing is better for insulation too.

Hi
Iv'e been working all weekend so just got around to the forum.
have sent you a lengthy pm which I hope will answer some of your questions.
One thing I forgot to say though regarding your comment on flexibility. - it's an inherant property and one of the reasons that poly is so strong and shatter resistant so whilst it will mark and dent if you drop something on it, generally it won't break unless it is penetrated by a sharp object.

cheers

Bob

AndyT":bgr2z935 said:
Not sure if it would work on a smallish shed, but you could consider the sort of roof found on many factories. In cross section it's a zig-zag, like the teeth of a rip saw: a glazed section, vertical or nearly so, then a sloping opaque section; oriented so the glazed part is towards the north. Max light, min solar heat gain.

Thats call a North Light roof. They used to be very common on mill buildings.

Not at all suitable for a small building I reckon.

Richard

Back