Clear epoxy/resin for jewelry

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

disco_monkey79

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi

I am going to make an amulet/pendant-y thing for a birthday present. The idea is to inset something in to a wooden backing, and then fill with resin to protect it.

I have used 2-part epoxy umpteen times, but this dries slightly yellowish, and I need a product that will be clear. Can anyone recommend something?

Many thanks

p.s. why does it take me so many goes to spell "jewelry" correctly???

West Systems 101 would do the job available from fleabay and other on line places. If you have a Range store nearby they do various brands just for jewelry making and you can get small amounts to save on waste:)

West Systems 101 would do the job available from fleabay and other on line places. If you have a Range store nearby they do various brands just for jewelry making and you can get small amounts to save on waste:)
Brill, thanks, I'll check it out

Any water clear polyester casting resin will do the job, just be very accurate on the mixing with catalyst

You probably know this already but use the two pot method for mixing and you don't have to be so accurate with the measuring, can be difficult with small quantities otherwise and warm the object you are filling slightly to help the resin flow and avoid bubbles. Talking from vast experience gained using this at least twice. ;)

All clear epoxy or polyester will yellow over time.
Additives slow it down but cannot stop it. This is why most people use some pigment, tint or dye which disguises the effect.

For casting you want a really runny type designed for purpose, it sets slowly and allows the bubbles out.
I find the west a bit yellow and its quite thick unless you warm it a bit which is not wise.

Ollie

Hi

I am going to make an amulet/pendant-y thing for a birthday present. The idea is to inset something in to a wooden backing, and then fill with resin to protect it.

I have used 2-part epoxy umpteen times, but this dries slightly yellowish, and I need a product that will be clear. Can anyone recommend something?

Many thanks

p.s. why does it take me so many goes to spell "jewelry" correctly???
I bought my wife some lace resin jewellery for our 13th anniversary from Lily Gardner London | Lace, Silver & Gold Designer Jewellery Lovely people to deal with and may give advice as it's just a little workshop in Chiswick

I would choose a casting epoxy over polyester. It is much clearer (good stuff is clearer than glass),more scratch resistant and far less toxic to work with. Polyester also shrinks more on setting.

There are loads of brands, just make sure you get something reputable, not something cheap and nameless. I have found glasscast to be great. Make sure you do your pouring somewhere away from dust, and have a good seal on the mould as it gets out of the tiniest gap! Also get a little blowtorch or heat gun for popping any bubbles.

Back