Clean up Oak

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GaryD

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I have been making a Oak garden gate

the design is of an old church gate i saw some years back.

the gate will have six solid panel that i have router out for and solid bead moulding and its this bead moulding that i would like some advise on...

i want to clean the router burn marks from the stop bead,,,what would be the best way to clean this up other then a gouge chisel

thanks for any advise

Gary

http://garyd.widdington.googlepages.com/

P1010049copy.jpg

P1010065copy.jpg

superunknown":papfwzj0 said:
You could try shaping the corner of a cabinet scraper and use that.
Agree...grind a bit of old scraper to the profile and scrape the burn marks away - Rob

hello,

i had a similar problem with a smaller moulding so this advice may not be practical for you. try a small hand held grinder with a wood bit on it. i think machine mart do one for 15quids or so. its perfect for cleaning up router burns like the ones in your pics.

Derek Willis.":1g9fz6ej said:
Just finish your stopped chamfers in the traditional way and use a chisel to cut the corners flat, this will not only enhance the panels but will get rid of the burn.
derek.
Can't in this case Derek 'cos the chamfer has been done with a cove cutter - Rob

Please don't take this as a smart ar*e answer, but you could improve your routing technique.
The reason for the burn usually comes down to, too slow a feed rate or a blunt cutter.
At the end of a cut and in particular a stopped chamfer, if you dwell even for a fraction of a second a burn will occur.
A way past that is to take a very light final cut a few thou more, lifting off quickly, and of course having a very sharp cutter.
FWIW even expert router operators get burns and generally sand them out. :lol: :lol:

John. B

Thanks guys for your very interesting and useful ideas. as I said I did start off with the gouge chisel.

Sunday I will have a go ..with the scraper and the paper I will let you know how I get on .

Derek, you are right about the stopped chamfers,, this also would have been my first choice if it was a flat chamfer but I do like the look of the cove chamfer.

John B, As the gate has different size panels the beads also very in length and my biggest worry was not burns but Kick back so I decided to make a stop jig for the router table and alter it accordingly.

I lowed the stock onto the cutter from above then ran the stock to the end stop, then lifting off I repeated this with several passes...... it is difficult not to dwell sometimes but at least I didn't lose any of the stop chamfers...thanks for your good advice

thanks again, I will let you know how I get on and post more photos soon

Have a happy Easter

Gary

Back