Clean Slate in the Workshop

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mn pete

Established Member
Reaction score
We're in the new house...well, we have the keys and are working in the new house (painting, stripping, peeling, spraying, etc...) Our stuff won't arrive for another nine days so that we can tackle some pre-move in projects.

http://secondwindworkshop.blogspot.com/ ... slate.html

Here's a peek at the new work space. Any advice from any of you working in a basement shop? This'll be my first time below ground (halfway below ground.)

Attachments

• co_001.JPG
    co_001.JPG
    96.7 KB · Views: 237
I don't have a basement shop but my advice for anyone is don't fix anything to anything until you have been in there and used it for a while. I am always surprised how what I think will work actually does not and I end up moving it around.

It seems to take a few moves after trying to work in there before it is nearly right, it, of course, never is as I never have enough space.

Mick

MickCheese":3maua0x4 said:
I am always surprised how what I think will work actually does not and I end up moving it around.

LOL, quoted for truth as I've just spent the day rearranging my workshop!

French Cleat battens on as many walls as possible, just above bench height. I was going to do this in my workshop, but all the walls are on the pi55, so it would have proved to be a bit of a mission. I planned to have shelves and clamp racks that I could just move around over to where I was working at the time. Next time :D

Keep us posted, looks like a nice space. Cheers _Dan

Do they make wine in the States :twisted:

But I suppose that you could always import our lovely Languadoc wines, Minervois, Cabardes, Fitou, Corbiers, Clap (not the medical one) and lots of others? :mrgreen:

That looks llike a useful room Pete. When we were living in England my workshop was part underground and apart from a window that was 8' up at the bottom and rod level outside there was no natural light. I couldn't move things around to get it to my liking and because of that I would go with the other guys that say don't nail anything down until you have found the best layout..

I look forward to seeing the result :)

I also use a basement, but even if I emptied it, it would not be as roomy as that.
One bit of advice which I hope you've thought of - before you fix anything in place, experiment with moving the longest piece of timber you are ever going to be able to use, down and round the stairs. Then make sure that you don't block up any of your twisting/ reversing space or long diagonals. Also worth trying with a sheet of ply if you ever intend breaking full sheets down there.

I also know from experience that you really ought to think hard about the dimensions of finished pieces. When we first moved in, my wife and I made a lovely big dresser top, and glued it all together downstairs on the bench. It just made it up the stairs and out of the basement door without taking a saw to it - and I now know the maximum size which must not be exceeded!

Latest posts

Back