Claymore (Brian)

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi,
Just like to thank everyone for their comments.......i had been keeping an eye on ya for a while but as you might guess my head wasn't in a good place plus the other rubbish I thought best sit back and try get myself sorted and get back into my workshop asap as its great for keeping ya noggin occupied.
I'm not sure if i should mention this on a forum but its a bit of a warning to others and concerns something many of you will use. Internet banking.....I myself never used it but Ruth did and she opened a joint bank account with Santandar where she liked to save up for stuff like horses etc and also paid certain household bills, when she died I had to try and sort out the finances and set to contacting people and getting them to either close accounts or change them all to myself so i could continue paying the bills which should be easy to do? it is apart from Santandar who to be polite have been a total set of barstewards and I phoned them to tell them about Ruth and could they change the account to myself so i can pay bills and this is what the guy said "We can but only with your wife's permission" slight problem there she died "Oh have you tried logging into the account online to sort it?" I have but Ruth changed her passwords and i don't know them. "Oh sorry unless she can confirm it then we cannot do anything" I again repeated 4 times that she had died but the cretin just said "Sorry" and put the phone down on me. The actual nearest branch of the bank is in Stranraer 50 miles away and due to my health probs couldn't drive there. It took me 9 months to get them to accept she had died before they would let me access the account which i then closed completely i had to send 5 copies of her death certificate and any other proof that i knew her (I actually took a photo of her ashes/casket and sent that to their head office) So a warning to you all if you do any sort of banking make sure you and your spouse etc keep a record of the passwords etc handy as you never know when they will be needed.
I would have liked to say that was the end to the document problems but i have had to do virtually the same thing for every bit of paperwork linked to Ruth, I still keep getting them phoning me asking to speak to Ruth and one T*** even said he had spoken to her the previous week about home insurance.....as far as the accounts they are sorted but when ya already having mental probs etc it doesn't help ya........i have got to the point now that i don't care if people think i am puddled......i'm not alone with depression etc and I can only improve over time.
Oh almost forgot to mention the locum who was supposed to have "Done everything possible to save her" has been struck off because he couldn't have tried to save her as he was sat outside in his car having a fag while she lay dying on a trolley! Ruth had been a nurse for years and the first time she needed help they left her on a trolley......no justice in this world?.
Right enough of my waffling but i hope it gives you something to think about with your family to make sure you don't have the same rubbish if something bad happens to ya.
Cheers and hope you didn't mind me posting this.
Brian

Thoughts are with you Brian that's a hell of a lot to go through and your advice about passwords is very welcome.

Keep fighting and don't let the Barstewards get you down.

Jebus....Brian....Life served you up a bellyful didn't it?
I can identify strongly with your documentation struggles; for reasons I won't air here, I have had to take steps -with Santander!! - to ensure joint accounts throughout and unopposed power of attorney for Meggie and my M-in- law. I did so because I suspected the worst (anecdotal evidence re "jobsworths in banks") but nothing like the insensitive, intransigent, incompetent horse manure you were dealt. That total, ocean-going, copper-plated, IQ-in-single-figures, multiply-mutated-DNA-bearing, ejit, masquerading as human, with the tact and subtlety of the Marquis de Sade, should also "be struck off" ...the planet!
Depression is a sly, deceiving disease, innit? It does not have a definitive, measurable aspect, nor does it have a drug or therapy targetable locus in the same way physical diseases have. Makes it harder to work with. You are not alone on this forum, believe me, and a lot of us can read your words and say "Yup". Keep dropping in mucker, chat is good. Especially on grey days.
Hope your workshop efforts will soon show up here, though I 'ken fine weel' how the plaigerists treated you. I'm trying hard to get mine going, with my left hand, while I 'firefight' the problematic legacy of buying a 'lemon' with my other limbs. Mind you, it is a beautifully located and nicely-sized one! Give me a year...starting last October...

Slainte! Sam.

On the subject of banks, don't try and deal with them in these circumstances other than through their bereavement teams, who know how stuff works, and generally know how to behave around the bereaved. I've had to do it two or three times and had a very different experience from you.

hi Brian I am soooo pleased you are ok ,and are back on the forum, I owe you so much for the help you have been in the past and look forward to chatting away to you when you get time, thanks for the tips on passwords etc as my wife does all the internet banking I must get her to write her passwords down, and I likewise.

What have you been up to in your workshop ?? I have just got back into mine after a 10 week lay off after a carpel tunnel op and its like I have never seen a scroll saw before, got to start from basics again,I have just done a totem off a pattern by papa dynamite took over 8 hours, mind I did have to get used to straight blades instead of spirals.

take care

John

A dose of the Black Dog is no fun Brian.
Look upwards and may the sun be always on your face and wind at your back.

First off, welcome back "Claymore" (Brian) it's great to see you posting here again.

2nd, like you, and as I hinted in a PM to you earlier, I too have had the misfortune to have some dealings with Bank Santander. Based on that experience I must say that you should NOT blame yourself in any way for your difficulties with them, because I have found them to be the most incompetent bunch of fools I've ever had the misfortune to come across - and that's saying something!

I'm sure that MikeG above (and hopefully others?) have their own good experiences with Santander, but without going into too much detail I was involved with them last year and it was - and remains - a horribly frustrating experience.

The circumstances "only" involved a death at 3rd hand so to speak, so I wasn't dealing with their "Deceased Dept" - at least not initially - but I found them to be utterly incapable of reacting in any sensible or logical/common sense way to the proven information I presented them with by E-mail, phone, and registered letter.

It seems that their "Help Line" and other "back office" people were equipped at birth with only the bare minimum of brain cells necessary to maintain basic life, and that in recognition of this the Santander "Company Ops Manual" (or whatever it is) allows nobody there any scope whatsoever for showing even a modicum of initiative or normal day-to-day common sense.

My own dealings with them continue to rumble on now for almost a year, to the extent that I now ignore them completely and all their letters go straight into the bin unopened. Thank GOODNESS that they have nil branches in Switzerland (though many of their staff don't seem to know that fact)!!!

I think it was early this year that I heard that Santander have been fined a substantial amount by the UK authorities for their multiple failings, especially when dealing with relatives of deceased account holders. I'm not at all surprised at that, and hope the fine was truly swinging!

So truly Brian, IMO you should NOT blame yourself in anyway for any difficulties you've had with Santander - to (mis)quote a well known old TV beer ad - "Santander. Probably the worst bank in the world!"

Cheers Brian, and welcome back mate :D

Back