Clarke Industial Heavy duty Bench drills any good ?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mel769

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all, this is my first post so hope someone can help.

I am considering buying a used Clarke bench drill; Im not sure of the model number but know its from the "Industrial, Heavy duty" range and has a light on it, it is belt drive but not sure how many speeds. Im aware that the Clarke bench drills are not excellent for precision stuff; however to anyone that has an (expensive) Heavy duty one, what do you think of them generally ? are they really worth the extra money ?. Its cost me £80 and im only using it in my shed as and when to drill out rusted bolts, maybe drilling holes in steel on the odd occasion. Thanks for any response

I'm not sure what model you're referring to, but I have a second hand, bog standard, bottom of the range Clarke bench drill. There's a little play in the quill which can slightly affect accuracy, but there's ways of working around that. Also the return spring broke so I replaced that with a similar one. Apart from that it's been fine.

DTR":2pe6t546 said:
I'm not sure what model you're referring to, but I have a second hand, bog standard, bottom of the range Clarke bench drill. There's a little play in the quill which can slightly affect accuracy, but there's ways of working around that. Also the return spring broke so I replaced that with a similar one. Apart from that it's been fine.

Thanks for the response, the drill im referring to is more in the top end range of Clarke bench drills although it has now been discontinued. Hoping someone here would have one of these drills, they have "metalworker" stamped across the pulley cover at the top, it has a 16mm chuck and a no.4 Morse taper (whatever that's for) hope someone could throw some light on it.

The 'top end' of the Clarke range is not very high. Clarke are not a manufacturer, just a brand name that's put on generic Chinese machinery. As such the machines suffer the same shortcomings as all generic Chinese machines. You can find some reviews of other Clarke drill models on the Machine Mart website.
FWIW my first Mig welder was a Clarke, it was rubbish.

Sounds like the one I have.

It's OK but not great.

The table is slightly concave and does not sit perfectly square to the chuck, well depending on how you measure it to the concave table :lol:. 12 speed I think but never found the need for most of them. Slight play in the quill from the off but no worse than some of the new offerings I looked at in APTC a while back. Motor has been good as has the switching. The handles had a tendency to fall off but some resin fixed that. Depth stop is surprisingly accurate and easy to use. Its fine for knocking some holes in bits of wood and steel but not up to precision engineering standards IMO. A good set of woodworking drill bits goes a long way to offset any slop in the quill.

Just had a look and it was made in 1986 and still works as new so not too bad.

Beau":2xy4thfe said:
Sounds like the one I have.

It's OK but not great.

The table is slightly concave and does not sit perfectly square to the chuck, well depending on how you measure it to the concave table :lol:. 12 speed I think but never found the need for most of them. Slight play in the quill from the off but no worse than some of the new offerings I looked at in APTC a while back. Motor has been good as has the switching. The handles had a tendency to fall off but some resin fixed that. Depth stop is surprisingly accurate and easy to use. Its fine for knocking some holes in bits of wood and steel but not up to precision engineering standards IMO. A good set of woodworking drill bits goes a long way to offset any slop in the quill.

Just had a look and it was made in 1986 and still works as new so not too bad.

Great, thanks; what is Quill slop ? Ive quickly looked online but still not familiar with it all :roll:

Not great on terminology myself but think it is the shaft that guides the chuck. It is not a perfect fit in the casting so is able to move about a bit when the chuck is lowered. Whatever it's called this is where there is some play. It just means that when you have lowered the bit down say 50mm you could move the bit slightly for and aft and side to side. This is why I mention quality drill bits as many wood bits have a centre point so self aligning and don't "walk" when the bit makes contact with the material.

Hope that makes sense

Check the model number. Don't pay too much.

I have a floor standing model (CDP351F) And it's borderline boat-anchor territory.

I bought it in one of those Machine Mart "VAT-free" day sales (admission ticket arrived in the post). After I set it up the run-out was terrible. I complained to Clarke, who very grudgingly replaced it under warranty (they would only take the entire thing back, not just the drill head, and I seriously doubt they checked the unit they sent out). The replacement was equally bad.

I would fettle it with better bearings etc., but I don't have any means to find out where the problems arise and thus what exactly to fix. For example, how concentric is the M2 taper in the quill, and is the quill itself straight, etc. I hve struggled to get a decent precision chuck for it -- the big lumpen thing supplied is OK for big drills, but useless for precision work -- one reason I bought it.

I know the bearings are rubbish, because it really hates being left with the belts tensioned for any length of time. To minimse the runout, I try to run it on the absolute minimum belt tension necessary.

The table is another big problem. The 'pillar' is actually a hollow rather thin tube, and the table mounting doesn't grip it very well. If you want squareness you absolutely must tighten everything up fully or the table will sag to an obtuse angle with the axis. It's easy to forget this.

The table tilt arrangement is a mixed blessing, too. There are various problems, including the fact it's not a trunnion but a pivot, and any tilt means you're drilling on a tangent to the tilt axis. That means a significant twisting force applied to the table as you drill. On several occasions I've ruined a workpiece and/or a twist drill because the table has tilted in use beyond what it was initially set to. Use the tilt with extreme caution and consider wedges on top of the table instead.

Miine has a circular, rotatable table. The rotation is handy (but beware sag if not clamped tight, see above), but the table has little 'meat' to it, and as supplied was really roughly machined. Occasionally I have another go at it with a stone, and I've managed to flatten it a fair bit, but I really ought to smooth it properly. To give it rigidity but save on metal it has webs cast into the underside. These are a complete pain: it is very hard to make clamps work as there's nothing flat underneath. The slots are too wide for small bolts -- even M10 thread needs big washers, but too big and they foul the webs. It looks pretty, but is functionally Very frustrating. Also beware the tilt lock: instead of clamping the tilt to the boss on the pillar, it actually jams it from moving by screwing down a bolt. This is like driving a wedge between the two parts, and has the effect of tipping the table down and forward, away from the pillar (ruining the squareness). For woodworking, possibly not significant; for metalworking, a right PITA.

I have designed, but not yet made a woodworking table To go on top of it. That would improve its usefulness (for woodworking) enormously, but... you'd still have to remove it for metalworking (or risk ruining the surface of the woodworking table with swarf), and I presently don't have it set up in a place with enough room for a big table to be added.

On finish quality, I also had to strip the machine and hammer the motor mounting plate straight before I could use it - it's weak, thin steel and bent significantly, either in the factory (rubbish/non-existent QC) or in shipping. Without doing this, the motor pulleys weren't coplanar with those in the gearbox!

There are only two good features: I do like the worklight, but then again it's large Edison screw, but only has room for narrow reflector bulbs - an unusual size. Because of the stupidity about tungsten filament bulbs being withdrawn, soon I will be unable to buy bulbs to fit it (and another mod will be necessary - sigh). Also, mine is an older design with three individual handle shafts to lower the quill into the work. DO NOT BUY one with three handles moulded into one single piece of plastic. They are rubbish for woodwork -- handles often get in the way, and it's very convenient to be able to unscrew one or two of them so that they don't foul a workpiece.

I haven't, so far, ever run out of quill-to-pillar depth. I have used the full height to drill into the edges of boards (but it's a heck of a setup fiddle!

There is a small amount of stuff in the Clarke range that seems to be good quality. I have a set of Clarke-branded Vee blocks that are fine. Most of it however is really cheap and nasty. For example I bought a machine vice to go with the drill. It is nasty! Also it's almost impossible to fit to the drill table (and still have the actual clamp in a useful place).

In short, if you look through the forum, you'll see a lot of people saying, "save up, and look out for a Meddings or similar to come up on Gumtree or eBay or the local paper". They're right. IF (big, big if) you can get the one you're looking at for the right price - i.e. really cheap - having a bad one is still better than just a hand drill, and it's true that woodwork is a lot less demanding than metalwork, but I regard my Clarke pillar drill as tolerable rubbish, rather than a good purchase.

E.

PS: to set it up and check it, you WILL need to invest in some British Standard marked engineers' squares, and a known straight rod of steel or brass that you can fit in the chuck you're using (I have tried using a twist drill - it is a lot harder!). I would check that the one you're interested in: make sure the drilling axis is properly parallel to the column and the table is square front to back with both of them when it's tightened up. If anything is at all out, WALK AWAY: you cannot easily fix it or shim it on those drills.

PPS: I've just re-read your original post. It is likely to be a #2 morse taper, which is usual. #4 would be massive! The bench models were very similar to my floor standing one. Only the height and base style differ in the main, although some had fewer pulleys to differentiate them. SLOW speeds are generally more useful than high speeds for woodworking, incidentally, so check the range as some of them didn't have the necessary large pulleys on the quill and jockey pulley (floating one in the middle of the two belts).

Eric The Viking":274w0ctc said:

I have a floor standing model (CDP351F) And it's borderline boat-anchor territory.

I bought it in one of those Machine Mart "VAT-free" day sales (admission ticket arrived in the post). After I set it up the run-out was terrible. I complained to Clarke, who very grudgingly replaced it under warranty (they would only take the entire thing back, not just the drill head, and I seriously doubt they checked the unit they sent out). The replacement was equally bad.

I would fettle it with better bearings etc., but I don't have any means to find out where the problems arise and thus what exactly to fix. For example, how concentric is the M2 taper in the quill, and is the quill itself straight, etc. I hve struggled to get a decent precision chuck for it -- the big lumpen thing supplied is OK for big drills, but useless for precision work -- one reason I bought it.

I know the bearings are rubbish, because it really hates being left with the belts tensioned for any length of time. To minimse the runout, I try to run it on the absolute minimum belt tension necessary.

The table is another big problem. The 'pillar' is actually a hollow rather thin tube, and the table mounting doesn't grip it very well. If you want squareness you absolutely must tighten everything up fully or the table will sag to an obtuse angle with the axis. It's easy to forget this.

The table tilt arrangement is a mixed blessing, too. There are various problems, including the fact it's not a trunnion but a pivot, and any tilt means you're drilling on a tangent to the tilt axis. That means a significant twisting force applied to the table as you drill. On several occasions I've ruined a workpiece and/or a twist drill because the table has tilted in use beyond what it was initially set to. Use the tilt with extreme caution and consider wedges on top of the table instead.

Miine has a circular, rotatable table. The rotation is handy (but beware sag if not clamped tight, see above), but the table has little 'meat' to it, and as supplied was really roughly machined. Occasionally I have another go at it with a stone, and I've managed to flatten it a fair bit, but I really ought to smooth it properly. To give it rigidity but save on metal it has webs cast into the underside. These are a complete pain: it is very hard to make clamps work as there's nothing flat underneath. The slots are too wide for small bolts -- even M10 thread needs big washers, but too big and they foul the webs. It looks pretty, but is functionally Very frustrating. Also beware the tilt lock: instead of clamping the tilt to the boss on the pillar, it actually jams it from moving by screwing down a bolt. This is like driving a wedge between the two parts, and has the effect of tipping the table down and forward, away from the pillar (ruining the squareness). For woodworking, possibly not significant; for metalworking, a right PITA.

I have designed, but not yet made a woodworking table To go on top of it. That would improve its usefulness (for woodworking) enormously, but... you'd still have to remove it for metalworking (or risk ruining the surface of the woodworking table with swarf), and I presently don't have it set up in a place with enough room for a big table to be added.

On finish quality, I also had to strip the machine and hammer the motor mounting plate straight before I could use it - it's weak, thin steel and bent significantly, either in the factory (rubbish/non-existent QC) or in shipping. Without doing this, the motor pulleys weren't coplanar with those in the gearbox!

There are only two good features: I do like the worklight, but then again it's large Edison screw, but only has room for narrow reflector bulbs - an unusual size. Because of the stupidity about tungsten filament bulbs being withdrawn, soon I will be unable to buy bulbs to fit it (and another mod will be necessary - sigh). Also, mine is an older design with three individual handle shafts to lower the quill into the work. DO NOT BUY one with three handles moulded into one single piece of plastic. They are rubbish for woodwork -- handles often get in the way, and it's very convenient to be able to unscrew one or two of them so that they don't foul a workpiece.

I haven't, so far, ever run out of quill-to-pillar depth. I have used the full height to drill into the edges of boards (but it's a heck of a setup fiddle!

There is a small amount of stuff in the Clarke range that seems to be good quality. I have a set of Clarke-branded Vee blocks that are fine. Most of it however is really cheap and nasty. For example I bought a machine vice to go with the drill. It is nasty! Also it's almost impossible to fit to the drill table (and still have the actual clamp in a useful place).

In short, if you look through the forum, you'll see a lot of people saying, "save up, and look out for a Meddings or similar to come up on Gumtree or eBay or the local paper". They're right. IF (big, big if) you can get the one you're looking at for the right price - i.e. really cheap - having a bad one is still better than just a hand drill, and it's true that woodwork is a lot less demanding than metalwork, but I regard my Clarke pillar drill as tolerable rubbish, rather than a good purchase.

E.

PS: to set it up and check it, you WILL need to invest in some British Standard marked engineers' squares, and a known straight rod of steel or brass that you can fit in the chuck you're using (I have tried using a twist drill - it is a lot harder!). I would check that the one you're interested in: make sure the drilling axis is properly parallel to the column and the table is square front to back with both of them when it's tightened up. If anything is at all out, WALK AWAY: you cannot easily fix it or shim it on those drills.

PPS: I've just re-read your original post. It is likely to be a #2 morse taper, which is usual. #4 would be massive! The bench models were very similar to my floor standing one. Only the height and base style differ in the main, although some had fewer pulleys to differentiate them. SLOW speeds are generally more useful than high speeds for woodworking, incidentally, so check the range as some of them didn't have the necessary large pulleys on the quill and jockey pulley (floating one in the middle of the two belts).

That's a very good response, I will only be using the drill for drilling out a few bolts and general stuff, nothing too fancy. So from what I gather these drills are OK but nothing special. Your post does make me wonder why you have not already thrown it over the garden fence or took a sledge hammer to it lol, anyhow ive not actually bought it yet, im going to have a look on Sunday. I will surely give it a good inspection. Thanks for the reply it has changed my mind, although surely there must be something good about it. (homer)

Mel769":1fok7ckp said:
I":1fok7ckp said:

I will only be using the drill for drilling out a few bolts and general stuff, nothing too fancy. So from what I gather these drills are OK but nothing special. Your post does make me wonder why you have not already thrown it over the garden fence or took a sledge hammer to it.

Basically it does work, and you don't need huge precision for woodworking (I'm not saying that's not handy, mind). I'm used to a lot of the problems it has, and can work round most of them.

I will surely give it a good inspection. Thanks for the reply it has changed my mind, although surely there must be something good about it. (homer)

There was. It was relatively cheap, compared to something like a Meddings, and I had a very small budget.

I still do, which is why I haven't replaced it.

Back