Clamping a router table fence in position

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dicktimber

Established Member
Reaction score
Just making a new router fence.
Has anyone got a way of clamping that does not involve G clamps on the end of the fence, or slots through the table.
I was thinking of toggle clamps on the back of the fence and clamping down on the table?????

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
Mike

What about this

183835825_d1cd9771ac.jpg

Dick,

you don't need two free ends. One end can be pivoted. People scratch their head over this, but the fact is you do not need a parallel motion on your fence. Pivoting one end means you only have one loose end to deal with, and an arrangement like Tom's (which is very similar to mine) works really well.

Mike

Tom/Mike
Thank's for that photo.
That looks a better option.
I have been messing about with some drawer runners to see if I can get them attached to both sides of the table and attached to the fence so that it moves parallel backwards and forewards.
I will see if I can attach your clamping arrangement.
i am in the early stages but will post some photos if it works out.

Thanks
Mike

Mike Garnham":1fv9l03t said:
Dick,

you don't need two free ends. One end can be pivoted. People scratch their head over this, but the fact is you do not need a parallel motion on your fence. Pivoting one end means you only have one loose end to deal with, and an arrangement like Tom's (which is very similar to mine) works really well.

Mike

I agree pivoting the fence works but is not the best solution if you want to use a sliding table or mitre fence. For this you idealy want the fence to be parallel to the mitre slot or sliding table. You can achieve this if you have two slots for the fence to run in perpendicular to the mitre slot. Some simple hardwood runners or metal runners screwed to the bottom of the fence will allow the fence to slide parallel to the mitre slot.

Jon

John
That was what I was also considering.
On the table and fence one of the problems is with router dust.
It gets into anything that slides.
I was a bit worried that hardwood guide runners, under the fence would quickly build up with dust and make it difficult to move the fence.
Having said that, it's the way I will probably go.

In reflection I consider a table saw fence would be a good option running along the side of the table. I like the clamping, one handed and the fence being parallel, but, I refuse to pay the price people like Kreg, are asking for this type arrangement.

Will let you know how I get on.

Thanks again

Mike

dicktimber":34hivf8k said:
Tom/Mike
Thank's for that photo.
That looks a better option.
I have been messing about with some drawer runners to see if I can get them attached to both sides of the table and attached to the fence so that it moves parallel backwards and forewards.

Thanks
Mike

Or use a dovetail slide. Inlay two tracks of some really hard wood and cut a dovetail grove lengthways in each. Then have dovetail pins on the bottom of your fence.

dicktimber":lh43ejyo said:

Mike

Mike have you considered augmenting the guides with the mechanism used by old style drawing boards?
These often come up in our local paper for sale and would yield all the pulleys, clamps and wire needed.

Bob

Today I machined the table edges to take metal drawer runners.
The type that looked like they would work were the computer keypad drawer ones, which are flat.
They attached to the table edge ok, and when the fence base was attached it looked like we were ROCKING.
The table moves backward and forwards ok, but because of the play in the slide bearings it never goes back in a true 90 degrees to the edge.
So, I have now abandoned that idea.
At least I tried an idea out and there is nothing lost.
I will take some of the ideas you have given me that work in practice and revert to a conventional woodie method of fence manufacture.
I have taken photos but I cant post them as I am useless when it comes to computers....but if Tom Wizzer would like to see them and maybe post on my behalf I will e mail them to him if he sends me a private message with his e mail address....if not that's ok too!
Thanks again

Mike

Send 'em over Mikke I would be very interested to see this. I've been mulling over how to do it since you suggested it.

Here's Mike's pics

DSCF1648.JPG

DSCF1652.JPG

DSCF1656.JPG

DSCF1659.JPG

DSCF1660.JPG

DSCF1661.JPG

Mike I'm not sure I understand what the problem was? Why didn't this work?

Tom
I was looking to achieve movement of the fence parallel to the front face of the table or parallel to a mitre slot(which isn't cut yet).
What happens is that because of play in the runners, the fence never lines up parallel every time you move it.
The fence would work but I would be forever doing what I do now and have to keep checking the fence squareness when using the mitre slot.
Granted for rebating, or fence work it wouldn't matter, but I thought It would be accurate enough to be able to put a stick on rule down one side, and maybe a fine adjustment rod on the back of the fence.....it sounds like I want an Incra Fence on the cheap thinking about it!!!!!!!
Silly me :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

dicktimber":3ms0q4fu said:
Tom
I was looking to achieve movement of the fence parallel to the front face of the table or parallel to a mitre slot(which isn't cut yet).
What happens is that because of play in the runners, the fence never lines up parallel every time you move it.
The fence would work but I would be forever doing what I do now and have to keep checking the fence squareness when using the mitre slot.
Granted for rebating, or fence work it wouldn't matter, but I thought It would be accurate enough to be able to put a stick on rule down one side, and maybe a fine adjustment rod on the back of the fence.....it sounds like I want an Incra Fence on the cheap thinking about it!!!!!!!

That is where the parallel motion from a drawing board will help keep the fence square.

Bob

dicktimber":2q7isrhx said:
Tom

A few wooden runners on the table sides would eliminate the play?

Back