CL3 to CL4 conversion

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kjmc1957

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi All, I have a sturdy fox lathe with 10 speeds and a swivel head for bowl turning, unfortunatley the lowest speed is about 480, I want to turn bigger bowls and hollow forms, at 480 the machine is a bit scary, so I'm thinking of buying a CL3 and putting on a speed genie (second hand lathe + new speed genie = I'm not out of pocket to much) does any one have any experience of the CL3/4, can it take bigish lumps of out of round timber.

Many Thanks

Kevin

Hi Nev

Many thanks for the links, I've just e-mailed Tessla and Haydock converters to see what they say.
Regards
Kevin

Morning Kevin

can it take bigish lumps of out of round timber.

My CL4 does. If a blank is very unbalanced, I cut bits off with a saw to get it better before actually turning it. Loosen the drive belt and spin it by hand to find the heavy point.

If you are turning over the bed, you can give it a bit more support with a live centre in the tailstock.

A heavy and sturdy stand will help.

As far as a new motor goes, 9fingers has posted a lot of help about motors in general, so you might like to search through his posts.

Try ...

search.php?keywords=&terms=all&author=9fingers&sc=1&sf=all&sk=t&sd=d&sr=posts&st=0&ch=300&t=0&submit=Search

He has a PDF file on line at

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/bob.minchi ... Issue2.pdf

See chapter three.

Cheers

Dave

Hi All

Many thanks, I'm just waiting to finish the door on the workshop, put the power in and then I'll put the lathe in with the new Haydock Converter motor, I'm going to step up from .75 hp to 1.0 hp.

Regards
Kevin

Hi All

Many thanks for the replies, I'm pleased that the CL3/4 will take biggish lumps of timber......this leads me on nicely to my next post.

Regards

Kevin

I have a CL4 if you wanted to come and have a look at it as I'm not that far from you

Rog

Back