A little safety warning

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
had a friend that worked in Vauxhaul's press shop in Luton....
He got transfered to the drawing office along with others after losing his hand.....
I cant quite remember the vehicle but think it was a Viva bonnet....not lol.....

Cutting/Grinding wheels have an expiry date not to be used after it's stamped into metal ring around center.
The resin holding all together degrades over time even more so if left in the open/damp places or sunlight.
Reason why have to have a ticket for grinders not to use but to change discs did the course quite interesting.

Cutting/Grinding wheels have an expiry date not to be used after it's stamped into metal ring around center.
The resin holding all together degrades over time even more so if left in the open/damp places or sunlight.
Reason why have to have a ticket for grinders not to use but to change discs did the course quite interesting.
Thanks did not know that

only once in my life did a 9" let go...U just throw the machine away...

Clogs, my 9" angle grinder has a gyroscopic "kick" to it that easily challenges one from a delinquent donkey. How the hell do you manage NOT to have an *Australian grinder? (*One that returns to your hand; boomerang?).

Also you don't tighten discs up just around finger tight or can crush discs.

I saw the other day a guy placing a fresh disc on a cordless grinder, grabbed the lock nut, and turned on the grinder and as it was spinning up he pushed the nut onto the spinning arbour and it threaded itself on in a split second.

An interesting and new practice from the cordless world!

Returning to the original post, no matter how careful how careful we are, it only takes a microsecond to have an accident.
This was well illustrated by Lynne Yamaguchi in her accident some years ago and in her tremendous attempts to educate others on the perils of spinning lumps of wood.
http://lynneyamaguchi.com/index.php/tag/american-woodturner/An extraordinarily brave woman!

As an extreme sports practitioner, all these little 'Just in case' practises are non negotiable and I think the same for wood working as highlighted here. Do anything long enough and the 1% chance accident will happen... Safe working to you all!

I saw the other day a guy placing a fresh disc on a cordless grinder, grabbed the lock nut, and turned on the grinder and as it was spinning up he pushed the nut onto the spinning arbour and it threaded itself on in a split second.

Some of the Metabo professional grade angle grinders use this idea in reverse for a quick change.

After turning off the tool and allowing it to spin most of the way down, you press the spindle lock, the disc stops and the nut spins off due to inertia.
The mechanism is built to take this use and it's the only way to get the nut off because they have no holes for a pin spanner and they tighten too much in use to be loosened by hand alone.
After changing the disc the nut is just spun on hand tight.

Sounds like a recipe for A&E when you think of how some people abuse their grinders and many probably do not even realise that there are regulations regarding the use of abrasive wheels in the workplace.

Safety gear is damage mitigation not damage prevention.

Although I'm new to all this as as a woodworker I have seen quite a few power tool injuries in the ED / A&E over the years. Commonly the victim is safety aware but for whatever reason forgot / was rushed / wasn't thinking straight just that one time which was enough to be bitten.

'I just wasn't thinking'

As it's pretty much always human factors that contribute to most accidents I personally advocate for adapting the 'surgical time out' or the 'stop before you block' safety check before any operation with power tools. Once everything is set up for a cut just pause, do a quick scan around, check power, check machine settings, check outfeed, check for any obstacles, rehearse the cut mentally. Ask yourself 'am I stressed / rushed / grumpy / intoxicated?

Imagine the cost savings to the NHS if more people just stopped and thought before proceeding rather than just charging forward and doing something they now just take for granted. There are many people performing dangerous working practices that they just are oblivious to because so far they have not been injured.

As it's pretty much always human factors that contribute to most accidents I personally advocate for adapting the 'surgical time out' or the 'stop before you block' safety check before any operation with power tools. Once everything is set up for a cut just pause, do a quick scan around, check power, check machine settings, check outfeed, check for any obstacles, rehearse the cut mentally. Ask yourself 'am I stressed / rushed / grumpy / intoxicated?
I suspect you've completed behavioural safety training at some time :)
The successful (American as it happens) "Safestart" programme used in industry teaches principles that your post instantly reminded me of.
It was a little corny in it's style but genuinely worthwhile and applicable to everyday life not just the workplace.

Imagine the cost savings to the NHS if more people just stopped and thought before proceeding rather than just charging forward and doing something they now just take for granted. There are many people performing dangerous working practices that they just are oblivious to because so far they have not been injured.
Our safety catch phrase on construction sites is Stop-Think-Go.
The 'think' part is a mini risk assesment.

I suspect you've completed behavioural safety training at some time :)
The successful (American as it happens) "Safestart" programme used in industry teaches principles that your post instantly reminded me of.

I’d not heard of the safe start approach but a quick read over the four core constituents are entirely complimentary to all this. I like the sentiments. Thanks for sharing this.

At risk of boring you; the medical profession has become invested in human factors in recent years. This has been helped by the aviation industry in particular but also in F1 racing where the focus is on both safety and performance and how teams can achieve both. Malcolm Gladwell talks about this in his book ‘Outliers’ in a more generic sense and Atul Gawande talks about human factors in healthcare.

Theatres (or operating rooms for USA) and the intensive care unit are natural starting points for transferred learning from these industries due to the sensitivity of the work but it has found its way into pretty much all disciplines within medicine. The work of Martin Bromiley (himself a pilot) has been central to this, inspired sadly by the tragic case of his wife.

When I was working a surgical job it was standard practice to take a pause before inducting the patient or lifting a scalpel. Anyone could initiate it which meant that the practice transcended heirarchy. In the delivery suite there were signs on the door prompting a ‘second look’ (less well known but equally as applicable) - infering that a single clinician - again regardless of role - who is working for long periods alone with the same clinical task can become blinded to subtle changes in a CTG or loose sight of a small but meaningful change in the patient’s condition. A second look welcomed colleagues to ask about these things in a gentle but direct way. There was no blame but instead there was a shared focus on safety. In the ED resuscitation rooms a similar practice was taken and it would often be the healthcare assistant / auxiliary nurse who initiated it again transcending hierarchy. In ITU during resuscitation there was a calm, considered approach to the scenario which was essentially the team’s attitude as a whole rather than one person. I’ve had student nurses speak up with a concern and have seen them listened too by the team as a whole. I've seen the opposite too. Gladwell talks about this in terms of direct V mitigated speech patterns as well as the concept of a ‘sterile cockpit’ during the critical phases of flight (as I understand it - take off and landing).

Nowadays (promisingly) undergraduates are being taught complimentary soft skills to help prepare them for the workplace. There has been a shift from the medical curriculum being fact based to being more about how knowledge can be applied in a safe and optimised way. The fundamental point here is entraining an attitude that wants to maintain safety rather than the archaic attitude that the most senior clinician is right. This sadly has led to multiple failures.

Far from being a well meaning sentiment these practices have led to an enduring shift in how safety and time-critical practices are implemented. Such things are now written into national and local guidelines as well as shaping basic mandated training irrespective of job role.

This is a paradigm shift from the times where individuals have tried in vain to change the attitude of healthcare as an industry. When Lister tried to get physicians to wash their hands c.1860 he was met with indignance. Semmelweis tried a similar approach and was actually ahead of Lister in suggesting mandated hand washing. He was dismissed from his job even when the rate of death from puerperal fever (a major cause of maternal / neonatal mortality) fell from 20% to less than 1%

TL:DR - It’s the same when working alone in a workshop. Being mindful of one’s own limitations and frame of mind is as important / more important as knowing how to turn the blasted machine on. In being mindful we’re exercising the cumulative practices of the most forward thinking industries and creating a safe environment in which to enjoy our hobbies. All these practices can be applied to the home workshop!

Sorry for the long post.

Further Reading if interested!
Martin Bromiley 'The Story of Elaine Bromiley'
Atul Gawande 'On Washing Hands'
Atul Gawande 'Slow Ideas'
Malcolm Gladwell 'Outliers'

Last edited:

A former employer of mine(Butchers) used to do something similar to slow down a bowl chopper* after he opened up the lid. Grabbed the large nut that holds the blades on to slow it down(runs about 3000rpm).
Then one day he grabbed too much of the nut and his index finger contacted one of the whirring blades. The end result was the entire finger was removed.
I had told him not to try to stop it, but it was an older machine with no braking and he just couldn't wait the couple of minutes it took to run down.

Just because you've found a novel way to do something doesn't always mean its a good way :LOL:

* Bowl chopper blades
Industrial-Meat-Bowl-Cutter.jpg

Back