CL3 lathe problem.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Slim

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I have a new cl3 lathe. After oiling the bronze bearing and running the lathe in for 3 hours, I had a little play. This is when I noticed a significant runout in the spindle. I have measured it and it is almost 0.5mm. This is causing unacceptable vibrations in the workpiece. The first thing I tried was to adjust the taper in the bearing using the locking rings. This made no difference. I have now removed both the bearing and the spindle and have noticed scratches inside the bearing. These scratches do not go all the way round the inside of the bearing, making me think, it is not perfectly circular.

I have been in contact with the supplier and am waiting for a response. Does anyone have any ideas in the meantime?

I must admit that you have my sympathies. It is rare for these machines to have problems!

Record will no doubt help you with answers.

I have used my CL3 for 13 years now and the ONLY problems have been belts and the rear bearing, the Bronze bearing is still holding up extremely well!

Keep us informed and if there is anything else let me know I will try and help if I can!

Regards, Peter.

Thanks Guys,

I have emailed Record. I'm hoping they will send me a replacement bearing and spindle ASAP because I've got lot's of Christmas presents to turn!

Latest posts

Back