Citric Acid

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DomValente

Established Member
Reaction score
Cannot find the post on citric acid for cleaning rust.
I have obtained citric acid in powdered form but have no idea how to dilute it or what to do with it once diluted.
Any advice would be appreciated as I have been given a batch of rusty router bits which look as if they've had little use.

Dom

Or you could try phosphoric acid - the stuff Bob Smalser used to renovate some old planes?
It is available from farmer's suppliers as "Milk Stone Remover" at about £10 for 5 litres.

Rod :lol:

Anyone there who has experience with using tannine as de-rusting agent? Read about this some days ago but havn't had any opportunity to try it out so far.

Regards
Philipp

It worked, these were quite rusty before the treatment.

brackets001.jpg

Dom

Somewhat late to this one, Dom, and I don't want to worry you, but someone over on WoodNet raised the wonderment over whether the brazing on router cutters might be effected by the citric acid. Please do check them over carefully won't you? [-o<

Cheers, Alf

I couldn't get to get some citric acid, so the last time I was in the wonderful Melvyn Clarke's I bought some Hammerite rust remover. It makes up to 5 litres for about £9. I put some stuff in it last night, and to be honest I was disappointed.

It took off the rust but left a black stain on chrome work, and some parts of a No 045, especially the cutter. Screws from the 04 were left pretty stained as well, but more rust/brown.

So, not bad, but not as good a I had expected.

the black stain is the hammerite kind of oxidising the rust, i think if you buff it, it should become more grey.

certainly that is what used to happen with jenolite when i was young, and i think innocent :lol:

paul :wink:

Alf":2ucqt59w said:
Somewhat late to this one, Dom, and I don't want to worry you, but someone over on WoodNet raised the wonderment over whether the brazing on router cutters might be effected by the citric acid. Please do check them over carefully won't you? [-o<

Cheers, Alf

Thanks Alf, not had a reason to use them yet, will only operate at long stick distance :)

Dom

Back