Circular Saw Blade

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fred Page

Established Member
Reaction score
I've just fitted a new 10 inch cross cut circular saw blade. It's screaming something awful. Would somebody remind me of the reason for this? The whining only appears after a few seconds of running. I haven't as yet tried a different speed; perhaps it might disappear then? All suggestion welcome.
Fred.

Since more than 80 viewers have nothing to add I will make a comment or two to myself if this is not against forum rules.
Charles Hayward suggests an optimum peripheral speed of 9,500 fpm.
My old Coronet Major delivers a top speed of just over 10,000 fpm at which speed the blade in question is sweetness itself. However, dropping down to the next pulley, and getting just over 9,000 fpm, the whining is quite unacceptable.
I don't suppose for one moment that Mr Hayward based his optimum blade speed on this kind of observation but it remains interesting that his recommendation answers my current problem.
Of course these comments don't answer the question as to why the screaming occurs but nevertheless the practical issue is solved.
Thank you Fred for these thoughts.

sorry fred on behalf of the forum
i looked at this earlier and was reserving my answer until id had a proper think about it
theres a lot more to saw blades than meets the eye initially
also different qualities of blades make a vast difference to the usual high pitch whistle encountered by a, lets say, frued blade
blade size, kerf , and set contribute to this whistle
the speed of the blade i had almost overlooked . as most users on this forum have dedicated circular saw tables
the next thing that sprang to mind was , is the saw belt driven or directly mounted to the motor .{direct drive }
if belt driven. are the belts tensioned correctly ???
also what are the bearings like???
coronet major {IIRC} uses one motor for two or three functions
from your second post it seems that youve got it sorted
so alls well that ends well
regards
mel

ps , please dont think that youve been overlooked .
a lot of very helpful people post on here

Fred Page":2rzev8wj said:
However, dropping down to the next pulley, and getting just over 9,000 fpm, the whining is quite unacceptable.
Therein lies the answer. Some blades seem to exhibit a sort of "harmonic imbalance" that causes them to wow and flutter that way. I have a couple of Leuco blades like that - run sweetly when you're cutting, but gradually "whine" louder and louder when they're not running under load. I've tried filling the expansion drillings with brass pellets and even lead - no difference. My saw doctor reckons that the tension in the plate is all wrong in both of them and this was possibly caused by them getting overheated a bit. But it will be cheaper to replace them than try sorting the problem out.....

Scrit

Back