chuck advice /25mm tap

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paul1020

Established Member
Reaction score
Just got my first lathe Tyme Avon but has no chuck with so many chucks on the market how do you chose one?I know will probably have to bye a thread adaptor has it has a25 mm x2mm spindle any help would be grateful.Also after a 25mm tap to make wooden face plates.
Many thanks
Paul

Regarding chuck advice I would suggest you look at the versachuck as offered by the toolpost. I have one of these as all my axminster jaws fit on it the 25 x 2 backplate can be substituted for a variety of more common thread sizes should you ever change/upgrade your lathe regards roy

Hello Paul,
I went with the Sorby Patriot and subsequently a face plate ring, that required a thread adapter to fit my spindle and I am well pleased with it.
I had little success with the tap I bought for mine, thinking like your goodself that I would make some wood face plates, just could not get a clean thread, especially considering that hunks of wood would be whizzing around supported by this thread !!
I would try and get a face plate or rings, but there are loads of much more talented members than I on the forum, so take all advice before going ahead.
,,best of luck,, joe,,

gregmcateer":3msma4zm said:
+1 for versachuck - very happy with it.

I got a tap from here;

http://www.rdgtools.co.uk/index.html

V quick service and helpful on the phone.
Unfortunately 25mm x 2mm is 'non-standard' and RDG don't list it, even in their 'ordinary' taps. There is a German Standard - DIN 13-7 which does list it but I've just checked all the engineering suppliers that I know and none of them list that size.

It would be worth double checking that it really is 25 x 2.

The Tyme Avon is as stated 25mm x 2mm. As I said in my earlier posting you can get an adaptor for it from Peter Childs. It is non standard but he can either get one or get one made for you.

Pete

Bodrighy":3ue137mq said:
The Tyme Avon is as stated 25mm x 2mm. As I said in my earlier posting you can get an adaptor for it from Peter Childs. It is non standard but he can either get one or get one made for you.

Pete

Fitting the chuck is only one side of the question, I was expressing concern regarding the Tap to make wooden face-plates.

JG

J-G":1asbp9jr said:
Bodrighy":1asbp9jr said:

Pete

Fitting the chuck is only one side of the question, I was expressing concern regarding the Tap to make wooden face-plates.

JG

Sorry you have lost me now. I use the Tyme as a back up lathe for both spindle and face work and have never encountered any problems. Why would you need wooden faceplates that screw onto the thread if that is what you are referring to? If you want to use one (I only do so for gluing awkward pieces onto) you make one to hold in a spigot on the chuck. I have turned off balanced pieces up to 15" using them, I wouldn't advise doing anything bigger on the Tyme anyway. If you have an adaptor for the chuck of your choice I can't envisage anything that you can't do on the Tyme other than very large pieces so can't really see what the problem is.

Pete

Bodrighy":3svqwq6o said:
Sorry you have lost me now.
Pete

My post was aimed at assisting the OP who mentioned in the first post in the thread that he also wanted a tap to make wooden face-plates.

I was just offering my knowledge from an engineering background.

JG

J-G":2t3uvz32 said:
Bodrighy":2t3uvz32 said:
Sorry you have lost me now.
Pete

My post was aimed at assisting the OP who mentioned in the first post in the thread that he also wanted a tap to make wooden face-plates.

I was just offering my knowledge from an engineering background.

JG

Ah, sorry, talking at crossed purposes LOL.

Pete

Thank you all for advice have some food for thought also going to look at this vacuum idea thank you all again
Paul :D

+2 on the Versachuck
Toolpost usually have the necessary adaptor in stock. Buy the Axminster jaws, then buy genuine Axminster jaw plates as they're cheaper and better made than the TP ones.

Getting a tap for the Avon is going to be a really expensive experience unless you pick up one secondhand. Avoid it by buying Axminster's wood plate jaws that bolt onto the basic Axi pattern lathe jaws.

Back