Christmas Pudding v Marmite

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peter99

Established Member
Reaction score
We all know you either love it or hate it (Marmite that is) but what about xmas pud?

Personally hate the claggy heavy mess. Rest of family love it.

My old mum always asks me if I want some and I always say 'no thanks I don't like it'. Same every year. I usually cook the festive offerings and do one for them and it's always the same 'aren't you having any'? Even after decades of the same reply. Families at christmas eh :roll:

So what's the consensus do you love it or loathe it?

I like it, but as an overweight diabetic I tend to steer clear! I certainly wouldn't make one, and some years we have got round to it in February.
I can't take it on Christmas Day with so much else in my system.

Never mind chrimbo pudding what about chrimbo cake? Everyone seems to have one but I've never seen anyone actually eat any. :? :? :?

Depends if it's home made or not.

Started making both puds and cake about five years ago and this was a total revelation.

Go and try it and see what your missing.

studders":1k6axla8 said:
Never mind chrimbo pudding what about chrimbo cake? Everyone seems to have one but I've never seen anyone actually eat any. :? :? :?

:shock: :shock: :shock:

What?!!!!

Ours is huge. It is almost the size of Texas, and has marzipan about 3/4" thick with some nice hard royal icing. It was made about 2 months ago, and has been fed a little brandy regularly ever since. It has almost no chance of lasting until New Year.....and my girls don't eat it.

If I had to choose one food to live off for the rest of my life, I would choose christmas cake. If there was a god, and if there was such a thing as manna from such a place as heaven..........I'm sure it would be christmas cake.

Whilst I eke out the cake for 5 or 6 days, I can at least make another attempt on my mince pie world record. I managed 18 in a day last year, and this years home-made mince is the best ever. Two dozen is in my sights!!

Mike

PS.........oh, and I love christmas pudding too!

Christmas pud or cake are OK - I can take or leave, so not in the Marmite league for me...
Christmas pud does taste better with trifle though :)

Mince Pies can be good or bad.
My mum's were lovely - thin pastry and lots of filling.
The ones I had yesterday were all pastry and almost no filling - yuck.

SWMBO makes a fantastic mice slice - a layer of home-made mincemeat in between two layers of thin home-made semi-wholemeal pastry, painted with egg and baked just right.
Absolutely lovely. =D>

My Mum makes Christmas puddings every year and saves them until the following year. Each member of the immediate family gets one. They're lovely. One at home yesterday, left overs today, another fresh one when I get to Mum's tomorrow :D .

Christmas cake - too far down the list of things I enjoy at Christmas to get a look in.

I'm definitely with Mike and Aled on this one - good job we're not all in the same family!!

I do all the cooking at Christmas including the cake, the pudding and mincemeat. Of all the food we eat, these are the three to which I look forward the most.

My 6 year old daughter was taking a mince pie to school in her lunchbox for the last couple of weeks of term and was healthily tucking into christmas pudding and christmas cake yesterday. :D

Even my wife loves christmas pudding and mice pies and they are about as far from Chinese cuisine as you can get!

Heading off to Theford forest for a walk now - think I may warm up some mince pies to take with us :D

Dave

Sitting here eating a piece of my wifes homemade Christmas cake which is lovelly and moist with a little kick. :D

I love home made Christmas cake, pudding, mince pies and sausage rolls but cant stand most of the shop brought ones.

john

Well I like Marmite, but I choose not to eat it. I just find other things more interesting. Same with Christmas Pudding. Yesterday is the first time I've had it in years. It was ok. I'd rather apple crumble :D I don't recall ever eating Christmas Cake, or ever being at someone's house where they had one.

There's one thing I do look forward to each year, I get through at least two over Christmas, and that's Panetone! Much lighter, delicious with butter or just on it's own. They do a chocolate one too, which I like but I prefer the traditional one.

Now left over Christmas Pud sliced fried in butter and topped with whipped cream! :) Now where is that drooling emoticon.

Xy

Back