Chop Saw not cutting right through

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You shouldn't need a sacrificial fence. The two most likely causes are the downward chopping action is restricted or the sliding action doesn't allow the saw to travel all the way to the rear stop. You don't say if it's a sliding chop saw, but I'm guessing it is, or perhaps one of their newer hinged arm versions. Most likely there's something stopping the full action of one or both movements. First thing I'd check would be to see if the adjustable stop for the chop action is set too high. This can be set for doing things like trenches across the grain of a piece of wood. Secondly, look to see if there is a stop setting to limit the rearward travel of the motor and blade. If there is, adjust it to allow full travel.

At this stage, and because you say the machine is straight out of the box, I'm ignoring the possibility of dust build-up being a cause of restricted movement, but have you checked for bits of packaging still lodged in the mechanism?. Slainte.

I have a feeling that my depth isn't deep enough. I'll give it a try, thanks for the advice..

It isn't a case of RTFM is it? The bosch sliding mitres have an adjustable depth stop on the LHS which you push in and out to either engage or disengage.................

My first guess would be the depth stop has been engaged by accident. Check the manual if you're not sure where it is (it's to the right of the blade on my bosch scms).

mr rusty":13rqkivk said:
It isn't a case of RTFM is it? The bosch sliding mitres have an adjustable depth stop on the LHS which you push in and out to either engage or disengage.................

As far as I am aware the only depth control is by means of a large screw, 6mm appx which you can adjust. I'll take another look tomorrow.

J

segovia":3n8p7d1i said:
As far as I am aware the only depth control is by means of a large screw, 6mm appx which you can adjust. I'll take another look tomorrow.
I don't really understand why you didn't provide the model number in your first post. Bosch offer about six chop saw variations, so knowing the model would probably help. It's possible someone has the same machine, they're familiar with it, experienced the same adjustment issue and could point straight to the change needed.

There's also that old stand-by, particularly as you seem to have a new machine straight out of the box, i.e., "When all guesswork fails … try reading the instructions." The answer might be right there, you never know, ha, ha. Slainte.

Sgian Dubh":18tysmm4 said:
segovia":18tysmm4 said:
I don't really understand why you didn't provide the model number in your first post. Bosch offer about six chop saw variations, so knowing the model would probably help. It's possible someone has the same machine, they're familiar with it, experienced the same adjustment issue and could point straight to the change needed.

There's also that old stand-by, particularly as you seem to have a new machine straight out of the box, i.e., "When all guesswork fails … try reading the instructions." The answer might be right there, you never know, ha, ha. Slainte.

They are not the best instructions in the world, ten or more different languages and very small print which is difficult for me to read for me.

Might be a clue on the side of the machine? Just a wild guess....... : )

Noel":2mcpg6px said:
Might be a clue on the side of the machine? Just a wild guess....... : )
And I've reminded myself (Googled it) of what RTFM means as posted by mr rusty - I keep forgetting acronym meanings I'm not especially familiar with. My post following it therefore was in effect redundant repetition, ha, ha.

Which makes this post too no more than superfluous padding! Oh well, I guess I'll go and do some real work now to make up for it. Slainte.

As far as I am aware the only depth control is by means of a large screw, 6mm appx which you can adjust

If it's the same as my bosch sliding mitre that screw bears on a little plate that swings in and out. When pushed in the screw passes between the fork and there is no depth stop at all. When pulled out you use the screw to set a depth limit.

Latest posts

Back