Choosing a router??

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dalejones

Established Member
Reaction score
Ok so I'm in the process of buying a new router, I'm after one with variable speed, good dust extraction, smooth, and strong, I'm also going to be using it for scribing worktops and some other fairly heavy jobs, will a DW615 be adequate or will I need something more like DW625? For scribing worktops does it have to be a 1/2" router? Thanks

You will need a 1/2" collet and any of the branded ones are good, Trend, Dewalt etc. I use the Trend T11EK and it's never let me down. But for heavy duty application (worktops (40mm etc) don't even think about a 1/4" collett.

Yup a half incher for worktops, you'll not find a 1/4" shank, 1/2" diameter cutter long enough anyway. You can get 1/4" inch collets for 1/2" machines or collet reducers to enable you to use 1/4" cutters but 1/2" routers are generally heavy and powerful and often to too unwieldy for jobs where you want to use a 1/4" cutter. Solution: a 1/2" and a 1/4" router. You'll not go wrong with a DeWalt 625 or similar.

I use the hitachi for Worktops it's great, no sweat. DW625 in router table, also great. They're almost the same. Both handle extremely well. If was day in day out fitting kitchens and Worktops I'd get the Festool of2200, mainly for the dust control. The of1010 & of1400 are fantastic machines for handling and dust extraction.

Just bought a Dewalt Dw625EK (with carry case) used ones on eBay for £150! Chuffed! It's immaculate condition can't wait to try it out.

Back