Choosing a finish

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

razornut

Established Member
Reaction score
Good morning gents I've just finished a small turning project. The wood i used is cocobola. As you can see it is going to be a shaveing brush for my great nephiew who had his first shave a couple of days ago. The question i have is.. I want to maintain the 'feel' of the wool but dont want it to get distroyed given the obvious high moisture enviroment it is going to be exposed to.
956f88b576fa22eebf541b2689f61e75.jpg
so what do you chaps recommend. I beleive the wood has a high oil content so i think that is a factor to consider. Thanks in advance gents.

A waterproof finish is going to be pretty essential. This could be melamine lacquer or Rustins plastic finish, both of which will leave a layer of finish on the surface. If you want something less "plastic", how about Danish oil or Treatex hard wax oil. Both will leave the surface pretty much waterproof but without a heavy build up on the surface. Given time, the wood will darken considerably so the colour of the finish won't be a major factor with this one.

Latest posts

Back