Chisels

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
MarcW":20cjcktb said:
matthewwh":20cjcktb said:
Has anyone heard from Ian by the way? Just wondering what he plumped for in the end.

That would interest me too. As I'm not sure anymore of what I recommended earlier during this thread. Four days before this thread started I ordered two bench chisels from LN and did not yet get them. So if I was asked once again which ones to recommend, I'd say those that are available even if you have to cope with new handles and lots of fettling... :?

Yes I have been following the tread, although I have now finished the frame and doors using my old Stanley chisels. I have spent a bit of time researching Japanese tools also been reading the Japanese tool sections of the American and Australian woodworking forums, I am considering getting a set direct from Japan ( top quality at a reasonable price) but that will be a 4 month wait for the ones I want.
There seems to be the die forged chisels at the lower end of the market, the hand forged by the top makers at the top of the market and anything in between, that is based on price but of course I would expect quality also. Most of the ones I could find for sale in the UK don't even name the manufacturer and a few seem well overpriced. The German suppliers seem to have a better selection and name the makers, the prices also look logical.
I bought a couple of chisels off ebay, described as a new Tateguya Nomi ( I think it is Tataki Nomi ) heavy duty Mortice chisel made by Iyoroi in about 1996/7, I will be giving this a serious work out to see how the edge stands up. So in conclusion you can buy some no name Japanese chisels from the usual outlets or a set of Sorby 166 or 167 for the same money or Two Cherries for less. Or of course get caught up in the whole Japanese hand made chisel thing and spend far more than necessary just for function. I might just go for the latter which I would get next spring and get a couple of Sorbys in the meantime.

Ian

I'm cutting in very late, but a friend just asked about where to get good a chisel set and the first thing that popped into my mind was the Ray Iles bevel edge/london pattern set.

http://www.oldtools.free-online.co.uk/edgetools.htm

Has anyone any experience about these? The price is definitely tempting, and if the chisels are any good it might be a good set.

Pekka

titan":1idqfk8o said:
So in conclusion you can buy some no name Japanese chisels from the usual outlets or a set of Sorby 166 or 167 for the same money or Two Cherries for less. Or of course get caught up in the whole Japanese hand made chisel thing and spend far more than necessary just for function. I might just go for the latter which I would get next spring and get a couple of Sorbys in the meantime.

Ian

Ian,

If you want to buy Sorbys which certainly is a good brand, I'd reconsider the LNs. There is no difference in price, but there is one in making them work.

I have both and albeit the Sorbys have marvelous handles and good geometry, the grinding is relatively coarse compared to the LNs. I received additional chisels (half inch and one inch) on Thursday and flattened the backs of both, sharpened to 30° and honed to a tad more - under 15 minutes both. That is very impressive.

Latest posts

Back