Chisels, new or old

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Set came up on flea bay and sold for around £100!
I’ve an unused set of four unused Marples boxwood carver handled bevel edged chisels in their wallet I purchased around 1986 at home. I always felt they were too good to use for work so never did.
I’ve plenty of chisels so they’re going on eBay the next time I get the 80% email.

Hi all,
I'm looking for some chisels and am wondering would you go for the Ashley iles 4 set at £113 or a set of vintage Marples lolipop type X5 with light surface rust from damp, look hardly used, apart from one with a chip in £65.
Thanks
Mark
Hello,
Without doubt the Ashley Iles, these are some of the best tools I have
Regards

I’ve an unused set of four unused Marples boxwood carver handled bevel edged chisels in their wallet I purchased around 1986 at home. I always felt they were too good to use for work so never did.
I’ve plenty of chisels so they’re going on eBay the next time I get the 80% email.
Show us the goods!

open them to the US - I think the nutballs paying $200 for sets like that are probably in the US.

As long as the handles aren't brown, you'll have no issue.

I've wondered how old the set of 10 is that I have (they're carver handle, not too refined and as mentioned, mostly unhardened....something was off on the splash line where the quenching was done and I guess nobody was too concerned about it. Luckily, the steel isn't warpy in heat treat and doesn't require anything complicated).

Mine were probably unused but had some light rust spotting. Someone bought them in maine, probably with good intensions, and never used them. I paid $160 for the group of 10, which you could look at two ways. After I reharden them, it's cheap. if i couldn't reharden them without damaging the handles, it wouldn't be so cheap.

Show us the goods!
I’ve had a look and I must have thrown out the plastic wallet as they’re all in a drawer in a tool box I made as an apprentice.
They’re unused but I’ve decided they’re too nice to sell.
I also found an unused 1 1/2” Robert Sorby paring chisel that’s also unused. That’s something I’d consider selling as I’ve no use for one.

Back