Chisel storage?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Keefaz

Established Member
Reaction score
Hey, all.

I've finally moved into my new place and finally have Internet again! Also, I have finally decided to make up some storage for my tools. First off, I'm looking for a fairly simple rack or similar to keep my chisels safe and to hand, and then I want somewhere to keep my planes and someplace else to store clamps.

Does anyone have any plans or ideas for either a wall-mounted chisel rack or something I can put on a shelf? I've seen a few for quite elaborate cabinets, but that might be a bit extreme for the timebeing.

Thanks,

Keith.

I think it depends on how much time you want to spend on making storage. This can range from a fancy cupboard to a 2x1 screwed to the wall with slots morticed into it. You could even buy the magnetized strips and screw those to the wall.

Keefaz - lots of different ways to store chisels....I always keep the blades behind a piece of transparent perspex, have a look at User Gallery to see some pics - Rob

Pekka Huhta":h730ywfe said:
I just asked the same thing and got some very good answers, see https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/forums/view ... hp?t=13613

I'm still in the progress of making myself the new chisel holders, but I'll post the pics when I get everything ready.

Pekka

Ah-ha! Knew I should've searched before posting! Lots of good ideas there. I quite fancy the idea of a wall mounted rack which I could then move into a cabinet when I get around to it.

I'll let you know how I get on.

Thanks!

Just to keep you up-to-date! I had a bash a making a little free-standing/wall-mountable rack yesterday evening:

chiselrack3ri.jpg

Nothing fancy, but it seems to do the job! Now all I have to do is make one more for the remaining chisel, then some storage for my planes, saws, measuring tools, etc. :lol:

Good rack for your chisels tho' you may find that in the hustle and bustle of doing stuff on the bench your hand might just brush against the underside of those exposed blades :shock: - Rob

Keefaz

Nice job. Just a couple of suggestions - the direction of the grain in the top of your rack leaves the slot sides weak and prone to break off. You might consider making the top of the next one from plywood: the laminations would make the sides of the slots stronger. Also, always make a rack big enough to have at least a couple of spare slots - you will never stop acquiring chisels!

Regards.

Mines a bit like what you have done, but in a cupboard, you cannot see my chisel (non carving) blades but the holes they sit in are sized in oder so very quickly I learned which was which - very happy with it.

100_1823.JPG

100_1822.JPG

Back