Chipping Lie-Nielsen Chisels- CONGERs case

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Paul Kierstead":34vi3quc said:
Alf":34vi3quc said:
Gads, I must have been born under the Lucky Chisel Purchase Star - none of my edges have crumbled or handles fallen off. I feel deprived. Maybe I'll send them back as defectively Just Right. :lol:

Heh, I expect our winters are a LOT drier then yours, and our summers are close to being as wet. They were set in the summer. If I set a wedge in a plane in the dead of winter and leave it to the summer, it can be a real PITA to get out....

I have an antique plane (from my great-grandfather) that I can't get the iron out in the winter, no problem during the summer...

DC

Paul Kierstead":1s5f4stx said:
Heh, I expect our winters are a LOT drier then yours, and our summers are close to being as wet.
Yeah, we tend to do wet all year round here. Mind you, I also have a dehumidifier going 24/7 so I don't get nearly so great a swing as I used to. It can get pretty dry in summer in the workshop though - easily tops 100°F regularly 'cos of the roof. :( Sheesh, I was complaining about that at the time, but I could do with some of that now... :lol:

Cheers, Alf

Paul

My first winter all the handles fell out. A few taps and all was well. Odd that it was too long.

It may not have been too long, it could be that in the cold the steel forming the socket contracted, this opens up the socket. The wood may have also contracted and in that case got smaller. So that what was a tight fit was then a loose fit.

Back