Chip and Dust Extraction

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ColinH2O

Reaction score
I recently purchased a chip and dust extractor (high Volume Low Pressure) to use with my Charnwood 588 planer thicknesser, when in use the chip extraction outlet soon gets blocked.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Colin

Perhaps taking off too much on each pass?

The only time I ever get this on a machine is on my router when it cuts the occasional large splinters which gradually form a "mesh" across the outlet. So, large bits eventually
blocking the outlet.

I have never had this problem with my planer/thickness, but generally only ever take off maximum 1mm at a time.

What power / model is your extractor? How long is the connection to the machine, and how is it connected (rigid pipe? Flexible tube?)

I believe there is some daft EU rule that says the inlet has to be blocked enough to prevent you putting your hands into the impellor (difficult to do when the pipe is attached). The main effect of the safety measure is that it quickly blocks up with chips - I cut it out of mine & it doesn't block up any more!

As Phil suggested, I bought a Jet HVLP chip extractor for my Hammer Planer Thicknesser. The inlet to the fan had a metal cross guard across it when the machine was delivered. After using it for a couple of times, the inlet was constantly getting blocked at this point.
I finally got so frustrated with it, I had at the cross brace with a hacksaw and a file and have never had a blockage since.

I have a SIP extractor, 680 CFM with a 3m flexible 100mm connection.

I have checked the Planer extractor and it does have internal cross braces, and it now seems logical that what Phil1978 and Disinteror suggested will solve my problem.

I will cut them off before I next use the machine.

Thanks to all who contributed

ColinH2O

Back