Chichester...'heads up'

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woodbloke

Established Member
Reaction score
With about a month to go now to the event at West Dean College nr Chichester just a 'heads up'...don't forget to register on the CHT site as they need to know approximate numbers... (so Philly knows how many extra planes to make) :lol: - Rob

Now now folks lets leave poor Waka alone shall we, he's far to busy moving into his new extension. Yes I'll be going, must remember to register.

And as for gloats Mr Chapman, where on earth did you get that idea from?

Waka":3b59n67d said:

Could have something to do with that dedicated gloating room you've had built on the end of your garage :-k :lol:

Paul Chapman":184jeqlg said:
Waka":184jeqlg said:

Could have something to do with that dedicated gloating room you've had built on the end of your garage :-k :lol:

Paul - it's what's going to go into the gloatshop that we want to see :wink: - Rob

What kind of format does this event have? I'd like to go and bring 'significant other' with me, but I'd rather not bore her too much

Aidan

This is the first time that I've been to this place so it's a bit of an unknown for me, but as I understand it, the college is set in beautiful grounds though I'm not sure if we'll be allowed to see much of it and any of the stuff that students produce. I think it may well be a day out that SWIMBO would enjoy 'specially as Chiohester's a very pleasant place if armed with your credit card and a whole day at liberty :lol: - Rob

Aidan, if Mrs Tiddles is into her gardening then I'm sure she would love to visit West Dean. The grounds are well laid out but high point for me are the stunning walled vegetable gardens and greenhouses, you have to see them to beleive what they grow.

Mrs Tiddles isn't, but the prematurely aged Mr Tiddles certainly is, she's coming and she's damn well going to enjoy it.

See you dudes there

I'll be the one who looks too young to be there with the pineappled off very attractive young lady in tow, she's going to be so impressed.

Aidan

What ho all - I have a plan.

I noticed that there is racing at Goodwood on the Friday and Saturday of the weekend of this event.

Go to races win some money and spent it at the woodworking show, what better way to spend a day or two? :)

Accomodation seems to carry a premium with the racing on, which is a blow.

Cheers, Tony.

Knowing my luck with the Gee Gees I would lose all my money on them!! :D

Goodwood is a superb venue with spectacular views - it's not called "Glourious Goodwood" for nothing - well worth a visit.

Rod

Has anyone found out what the format is?

I assume the demonstrators are just standing around, rather than giving specific training (no offense intended for the demonstrators). Sort of like the CHT tent at Festival of the Tree, but without the classroom?

Hello everybody, we hope to see many of you at this inaugural event. Here are a few answers to the questions raised;

Location - the Sussex Barn, West Dean College. For you sat nav boys the postcode is PO18 0QZ

Date - Saturday 31st May and Sunday 1st June

Opening Hours - 10am - 5pm both days

Cost - FREE ENTRY

Format - the demonstrators will be at their workbenches and available for informal discussions on any woodworking topic that takes your fancy. Some will be very specific to their expertise ie James Mursell on Windsor Chairmaking, Phil Edwards - wooden plane making, Deneb Puchalski - Lie-Nielsen Toolworks, Mick Hudson - Clifton Planes whilst others can be quizzed on wider woodworking techniques and skills eg David Charlesworth, John Lloyd, Michael Huntley, Nick Gibbs and Garrett Hack.

Tools - there will be a fully stocked shop with awful lot of irresistable tools from fine makers from around the world. We are expected to be very well stocked with tools from Lie-Nielsen Toolworks, Veritas, Blue Spruce Toolworks, Clifton, Hock, Chris Vesper Tools (Australia), Colen Clenton, Auriou and many more fine hand tool makers including planes from Konrad Sauer and Karl Holtey.

Mystery guest - a very special guest will be demonstrating his craft throughout Saturday.

Registration - is it necessary? the simple answer is no but it does help us give West Dean rough numbers for car parking, catering etc.

Which is the best day? David Charlesworth will not be present on Saturday am or late Sunday pm. Other than that we should have a full complement for both days.

Is it partner friendly? West Dean has fabulous grounds, gardens and a lovely cafe so we would say the answer is most definitely yes!

Further information - have a look at our website, www.classichandtools.co.uk

I hope you can support this event so that we can repeat the format in other locations.

Best wishes to all

Mike

Back