chestnut wood wax22

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Olwyn

Established Member
Reaction score
As any one bought a tin of Chestnut woodwax
22 my old tin which i got about 2 years ago was a hard wax and got a good shine from it.

The new one which i got in february is a soft paste wax and i don't get as good shine from it and you use more of it

Olwyn

Never had a tin with 'Hard Wax' in it, how old was the stock you originally bought, was the lid on firmly.

Having said that, I have noted that recent batches have been softer than the original ones I purchased several years ago. The contents have firmed up a little in use due to natural evaporation whilst tin is open.

I did mention it to Terry (chestnuts) but he said the formula had not been changed, worth contacting him though in case it's a quality control problem with his suppliers.

All I can suggest is that you leave the application a few minutes longer before buffing to allow volatiles to evaporate.

Aw, thanks jorgoz, I'm blushing now!

I can confirm that the formulation for WoodWax 22 has not changed in recent years.

There are several factors I can think of that could be in play here.
As Chas says, it's possible that the original tin you had was a little old and the solvents had started to evaporate.
Ideally, the wax should be a firm paste. When you first open a tin it's probably a bit softer than would be ideal. Once you're about halfway through the tin natural evaporation of the solvents will mean that the wax is probably at about the ideal consistency. The evaporation continues as you work through the tin and the last part of the tin is a little harder than would be ideal but still usable, so by making the product in this way it allows for pretty much the whole tin to be used with minimal waste.

The downside to the above is that, as Chas suggests, you'll need to wait just a little longer before buffing the wax; spread it thinly (which is the best way anyway) and the extra time will be almost negligible.

One final factor is that the last few years have seen a sharp increase in our sales of WoodWax 22 so chances are that what you're buying off the shelf is fresher. This should by rights be a good thing but when you compare a new tin to an old one there will be a difference in consistency and this will highlight it all the more!

I hope this helps, please feel free to come back with any other queries you may have,

Blimey you can't say after sales support better than that last post from Terry!

This has just steered me onto trying your products when I finally get to build something worth finishing :) Impressive.

Hi Terry
Many thanks for the advice i've tried it and left it much longer and now i find the shine is as good as before.

Keep up the good work Olwyn

Latest posts

Back