Chestnut / Walnut Endgrain

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paulc

Established Member
Reaction score
Firstly, I know absolutely nothing about finishing wood and wondered if anyone can recommend a simple but thorough text on the subject for the beginner.
Specifically my problem at the moment is being unable to get rid of small scrape marks from the end grain of chestnut and walnut when hand sanding, no matter how fine a grade i use . Any suggestions much appreciated. Thanks ,Paul.

have you tried fine wire wool,i used to dampen walnut with a slightly damp cloth, to swell the little marks before rubbing them flat,i preffered wire wool it seemed finer than paper then i used a walnut oil to lift the grain (give the wood that rich deep 3d depth)try on a spare piece first ,my way may not be the right way of doing it ,every one has theyre own way, but it worked for me/ you may not want to use oils, there are lots of finishing products to give lasting shine,give this a try/stiles and bates, they have lots of one coat treatments,good luck fella

Hi Paul,

Do you have a scraper? If not now is the time to buy one. :roll: It will leave a finish that is free from the small scratches that are causing your problem. :D

Back