Cherry external door frame?? Update......

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

toolsntat

Yep, I collect tools and tat
Reaction score
A friend wants one of these cherry veneered Torrance doors
http://www.jeld-wen.co.uk/?cmd=ranges.range&id=132
fitting but even though the painted s/w frame is solid it would require the trimming of the finished door :(
So, would cherry be ok as a frame and if so what would be the best finish to go for??
Anyone seen these doors up close and what finish they use??
Andy

Hi,
I work in bespoke constructional joinery. We have cherry in stock, but in my 5 years I don't think I can say that we have used cherry for doors or frames. Not saying it can't be used, just that we haven't used it.

We tend to use, oak, ash, iroko, idigbo, sapele, meranti, african ceder, and of course softwood.

joiner_sim":3ry4j8ea said:
Hi,
I work in bespoke constructional joinery. We have cherry in stock, but in my 5 years I don't think I can say that we have used cherry for doors or frames. Not saying it can't be used, just that we haven't used it.

We tend to use, oak, ash, iroko, idigbo, sapele, meranti, african ceder, and of course softwood.

What about mahogany?

Rich.

I don't think cherry's (English or American) would stand up against the elements as well as any of the other timbers Simon and Rich have mentioned. I wouldn't like to use veneered in an external situation either - are you sure about that? They don't look like veneered doors to me?

I wouldn't want to use cherry outside, don't think it would be durable and it's also likely to move a huge amount

OPJ":k4idue9r said:
I don't think cherry's (English or American) would stand up against the elements as well as any of the other timbers Simon and Rich have mentioned. I wouldn't like to use veneered in an external situation either - are you sure about that? They don't look like veneered doors to me?
They are veneered Olly, though at first glance you wouldn`t think it.
I`ve hung a few of this type of door, though they weren`t this make. The instructions did state they had to be completely finished (weathered) before they were allowed to come into contact with the elements.
I finished them with Sikens, having to cover them in between coats so as to keep the weather off them.

Cheers for the replies folks..
The key thing for me not wanting to reduce the door size to fit the existing frame is that they do come fully finished and glazed.At the end of the day another frame material can be used but a matching material would make it look great ...
As for stability its just the frame to think about and there are plenty of solid fixing points behind the rebate which can be plugged after... Or if taking it further maybe it could be laminated.
Could it be said that cherry is more durable than softwood? As the existing original softwood frame is still very much intact perhaps a couple of coats of preservative on the cherry followed by Sikens/?? should be ok to see it through a good many years...
Andy

I've recently had to remake a curved top window front in Cherry.
The shop has about 6 of them, 4 or so are under cover and 2 are subject to the elements.
The one I had to replace had a completely rotten cill, and the buildings were built TEN years ago!
The window next to it looks okay, but I dont think it wil be too long before I have to make another.
Personally, Cherry is a furniture timber, not for external joinery

Looking up Cherry in a book I have states:

All types of cherry have only "moderate" durability and are "Moderately resistant to preservative"

Both these ring alarm bells to me about using the timber outside.

If the client is adamant about wanting cherry then I would aim to get a disclaimer so you don't get a call back later.

Frankly I'm concerned about veneered products outside too. Their longevity would seem to rely heavily on the preservative coating and therefore present a long term risk too. I'd wrap this all up in a disclaimer for your 'preservation' !!
Good luck

Well all done and they love it to bits 8) 8)
Used a sapele frame in the end and it looks great :D
These doors are now classed as part finished for the same product :roll: with a recommendation of 2 further coats of varnish...

junefirst09030-1.jpg

Back