Checked Cherry?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Modernist

Established Member
Reaction score
I bought some 1 1/4" American Cherry in unusually wide 8-9" boards from Fitchett and Woolacott in Nottingham last week. On cleaning up a 6" ripping I was disappointed to find the dark checking in the pic. Is this normal or a timber or kilning problem?

That kind of fleck is pretty normal for cherry, especially european or english cherry. Its not a kiln problem its literaly in the timber.

Modernist":25szm6sn said:
I should note that this is after taking 4-5mm off the top surface.

It's pith fleck you're looking at, not checking. They're caused by insect damage just under the bark. More specifically it's the larvae of a fly belonging to the Agromyza genus that burrow downwards just under the cambium during the growing season.

Those brown ribbons and marks are scar tissue. It's common in the American cherry and birch, and it's seen sometimes in hard and soft maples. Slainte.

That doesn't look like checking to me. As I understand checking, it is when the ends of a board split from drying, and surface checking is similar, the wood splitting do to drying problems. The photo doesn't look like that to me.

What you do get in cherry, however, are mineral deposits. These can blunt your tools, but can also look fantastic if they are visually harmonious in the board. OK and odd bit up one corner isn't going to do anything for you, but evenly spread over a mantlepiece facia or a cabinet door panel can look wonderful.

Cheers
Steve

Edit - or it could be what SD said.

Thanks for your help guys. It looks like checking but deeply coloured with a dark red deposit in a definite "crack" or crevice. These must be the insecvt damage or mineral inclusions. There are also unfissured shaded areas which may well be the scarring mentioned.

I have not worked in cherry before and gather it darkens significantly as it ages. What should I use as a finish for inside joinery and should I disguise the marks with a darker stain or leave nature to take its course?

My preference is a clear finish and let nature take it's course, Cherry is such a lovely timber you shouldn't hide it with colour.

Dom

DomValente":2kn6meyl said:
My preference is a clear finish and let nature take it's course, Cherry is such a lovely timber you shouldn't hide it with colour.

That's two of us and counting, I suspect.
S

Steve Maskery":21qy783l said:
DomValente":21qy783l said:

That's two of us and counting, I suspect.
S

You should be a detective Steve. Your powers of deduction are correct!
(I go for a good clear wax myself.)

John :)

Back