Cheap workshop/shed doors

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DigitalM

Established Member
Reaction score
I need to knock up some workshop doors super-cheap as the old ones are really suffering now.

I did a quick sketchup design thinking I'd just mortice and tenon a frame together, rebate some ply panels into the outside then clad over with some treated T&G that I already have for when we reclad the outside of the workshop (10mm thick treated T&G for vertical cladding, a slightly slimmer profile than the workshop cladding but the same timber).

I then went to price it up and any hardwood whatsoever is going to be £250+ (Douglas Fir, iroko) as the main framework is 100mm x 50mm or thereabouts and needs 8 x 2.4m

That's way more than my brother-in-law wants to spend (it's his building on his land! I get shared use though).

I could just use cheap carcassing material then treat it with something perhaps. Would that be suitable for humble shed/workshop doors you think? All advice welcomed, I'm not pretending I've ever made any doors before!

WorkshopDoors_01.jpg

WorkshopDoors_02.jpg

WorkshopDoors_03.jpg

Attachments

• WorkshopDoors_01.jpg
    WorkshopDoors_01.jpg
    140.9 KB · Views: 163
  • WorkshopDoors_02.jpg
    WorkshopDoors_02.jpg
    184.6 KB · Views: 163
  • WorkshopDoors_03.jpg
    WorkshopDoors_03.jpg
    182.3 KB · Views: 163
Sawn and treated soft wood ledged and braced boarded doors. Put a half lap on the edges of the boards, and take care with your fixings to allow for movement. That'll take half an afternoon to make. Or, I've seen commercially made L&B doors on special offer at builders merchants for £25 before now.

A Mate, A chippie by trade, Just used shuttering ply, was framed in softwood treated then painted. It has been on two sheds since he made it 20 years ago

DigitalM":2alv3p1u said:
Gloucestershire, topchippyles.
I am on the heads of the valleys in south wales and can help you out by a mile,Seems a bit to far away maybe

Back